Cuba trip

Master of Bait

Hey folks,

Just a quick Q. Wondering if anyone's been to - and, more importantly, fished at - Sol Cayo Santa Maria (on Cayo Santa Maria, among Cayo Coco and the other keys).

Wife and I are heading there in a week for fun in the sun.

I've searched the forum and the net and pm'd a few veterans of the Caribbean surf and am coming up with a great fishing plan for the surf, lagoons and hopefully drifting away in a free rental kayak or something off the beach! If anyone has any tips for this resort or this key specifically, I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, I hope to provide a great post with lots of pics when I return.

Cheers,

MOB

We stayed at the melia santa maria the first time we went which is the sister resort to the sol.. we took the 1/2 charter from the resort.. caught a few (5) barracuda, but had such a good time we booked the next day for another 1/2 day. WE dint try anyt fishing right at the resort so i dont know about that.. but we did have a blast on the boat... when are ya leaving??

Thanks TJ! We're leaving a week from today. What was your impression of the island? I've been to Varadero once but never the cayos.

Mind if I ask the $ on the charter? I'm on a budget and I love the DYI idea so I'll have to see how things go.

Also, is this island the type of place where you can walk down the beach from the resort to get some isolation? I want to cast the surf but I want to steer clear of swimmers! :lol:

Are there lagoons to fish not far from the resorts?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

MOB

Im not sure about the lagoons, the charter was 250 1/2 day 500 full day.. you can bring 4 people to make it affordable.. and yes you can walk way down the beach!