Right Or Left Hand Retrieve Question.

Joey

Joey when I started fishing back in the 50`s there were not many or any left hand retrieve reels around except for spinning reels. I learned on right hand retrieve baitcasters, we switched to Mitchell 300 spinning reels, my uncle sent some home from France when he was there in the navy. The cast with the right, retrieve with the left had a more natural feel, even though I am right handed. All my baitcasters are lefties, same with my spinning reels.

I also feel that casting reels are a better choice for bigger fresh water fish, but again it`s all a matter of comfort, if it feels good you will do it more often.

I am left handed; I cast with two hands and reel with my right. I count my cast as left handed because my left hand holds rod where a one handed caster would hold it.

I golf right because my dad taught me to golf and insisted that that was the proper way to golf ... even though swinging left handed felt more natural. I shoot left in hockey but prefer to play right wing.

All this talk reminds my of a line from Duddy Kravits ... Try your left hand, it will feel like it's somebody else.