Bombardier atv's

jigger08

Mine is a 2000 model with 8000 km on it. Use it for many things. Mostly for pushing no start cars/trucks into my shop and plowing snow through the winter. Lots of power and rugged. It's a workhorse but not a great trail machine. Adequate but rough riding and somewhat tougher to steer on trails. If you are going to pull trailers full of wood or a moose out of the bush it can't be beat. The step through getting on it in fall when I have my hunting gear on and maybe a passenger is great. Been very reliable. Only a couple minor repairs.

All the ATVs are good. I would say that in general, stay away from those ATVs that use a chain for a power train or a transmission like a snowmobile (variable belt drive).

Another thing, you don't need a big engine. Anything between 300 cc and 500 cc is ok.

Get an ATV that you can start even when the battery is dead.

4X4 is nice. That's what most people buy. But a 2X4 is all you need if you plan to just cruise around. 4X4 is a must if you want it for hard work.

Buy a winch. It can save you a lot of headaches when you are alone in rough conditions.

I have an 88 Yamaha 350 cc Big Bear. It's the same as the later model Grizzlys that have a larger motor. It works as well today as it did when brand new but Hondas are very popular too. The Honda Foreman is great work horse.

I like my Yamaha Big Bear because I can put it into reverse without going back to neutral. That makes it great for plowing snow. However, it is not a true 4X4 because the front differential has slip in order to make it turn a tight radius more easily. There are ATVs that offer the combination of 2X4, 4X4 and 4X4 with locked differentials.

One of the hardest working ATVs was the Suzuki 250 cc with 15 forward speeds. However, they were quite low to the ground, quite small and hard suspension.

I know squat about bombadier....I only read a story on their snowmobile sales. I do know that last winter it was a lot cheaper to buy one in the states. So if you want to compare the used to the new price check the US price.

forrest

Edited by forrest