Why do you fish?

JohnF

it goes like

- I was taking private pilot lessons (finished ground school which is cheap, but nowhere close to the required flying hours as that's expensive)

- then i was talking to gf, saying if i take boating lesson later, then i can do all land/sea/air transport blah blah blah

- then my gf was looking at the boat licensing/lessons... and came across fishing (license)

- then my gf suggested we go fishing

- i'm like ok sure (never fished in Canada be4 that)... and there we goes...

Became hooked on fishing when i was about 8 yrs. old when i caught a brook trout in Duffins Creek.

After catching a few suckers on worms suddenly this amazing beautiful creature bit the worm; that brookie changed my life.

A couple of years later my family moved to Oshawa right across from the Oshawa Creek. Steelhead and salmon were starting to take off in the stream then and again i was hooked. At the same time my father bought a nice trailer and put it up at Pigeon Lake so now as a pre teen i was catching walleye and bass all summer, and trout/ salmon in fall and spring.

Gave up on the steelheading as it became to crowded, but still fish brookies and go to Pigeon 25 yrs. later.

When i fish it's all i'm focused on, it feels right and crushes the usual time-space continuum.

ehg

A poem I found here on the board a few years ago:

I am a fisherman.

It's not something I do, it is who I am.

Fishing is not an escape.

It is where I belong, where I am supposed to be.

It is not a place, but a lifelong journey.

It is a passage my father showed me,

and that I will show others.

When you understand this, you will know me,

and we will fish together.