New to the Forum....Erie Bass???

RyanB

Hey All...new to the forum (posting wise) but I have been crusing the pages for a while and thought I better register. Anyway, I am from Kitchener/Waterloo and usually fish for bass down at Long Point (usually launch out of Old Cut) but am looking for a change and would like to get into more open water or water/rock piles and stuff. I am interested in anything east of long point up to the mouth of the river. I have a 17.5' Lund/130 honda so its not a big deal to have to run a while or be out in the ruff stuff.

Any one have any ideas or details on where to go?

Thanks in advance...Just wanting to spice things up a bit here!

Hey Ryan B - usually people on the board don't take well to others "asking for spots" sort of speak, but hey, My name is Ryan B. also (ryan bonin) so I have to say welcome to the board and good luck finding some new spots. I'm new to the Long Point area, and only have a Personal Pontoon boat but I'll be looking to fish the bay in the coming seasons when I do buy a boat.

As for spots east of the bay, I've fished plenty, but I couldn't tell you how to get there as it's been with pro anglers and it's on their spots in the middle of "the big blue". They put in their time, driving and charting the lake on their GPS units looking for rock piles and fishing them. All I can say is that in the spring and fall there's smallies a plenty not far from the shores of buffalo.

Good luck dude,

UF

I haven't fished some of these areas in years but I have had very good success with Point Abino. There are sailboats moored there (in the bay east of the point) and smallmouth like the shaded areas caused by the sailboats. Also there is a channel cut there that holds fish. Going east I would fish Windmill Point and east of that Waverly Shoals. Between Windmill and Waverly you have a lifetime of fishing spots to explore for smallies and walleyes not to mention galvanized pike.

Good Luck,

Bob

Hey Ryan B - usually people on the board don't take well to others "asking for spots" sort of speak

I heard that in the past but figured this is Lake Erie and all I am looking for names of places that I can launch at. I am fairly decent at finding the fish my self but just need some ideas on mainly where to launch out of and where I may have a decent chance at something.

thanks again...RyanB

Launch from Hoovers Marina in Nanticoke and bring your boat straight to the end of the Stelco Pier. Follow the buoys straight out from the pier and after 6 miles keep an eye on your fish finder. You'll find the Nanticoke Shoal. The shoal is huge and goes to about 16 feet at it's shallowest point.

Smallies this time of year will probably be sitting in 20 - 25 fow.

Good luck.

Lots of great spots any where from Port Colborne to the mouth of the Niagara. I have been bassin in the inner bays lately in a kayak and have been doing well in shallow water near crystal beach. Straight out from the mouth of the Niagara river on lake erie has a few great spots that have shoals. I am not sure about anything more as I haven't been able to get out deep as I have a small kayak and don't wanna get out to far. Bigger bass are in 30-40 feet of water.

Not sure which 'river' you mean;

Head out from Port Maitland, go either west to the Tecumseh Reef or east to Mohawk Island.

Keep an eye on the water depth there are a couple spots that shoal up to 2 feet or less more than a mile off shore.

Also keep an eye on the weather, Erie blows up fast.

Dan

thanks guys...this is what I am looking for...just places to go and launch from and now real details other than for saftey reasons like the one shoal talked about above.

So these smallies in the big lake are deep compared to long point huh. Crank baits and Jigs I guess. We have great luck at long point with Tube Jigs but this might need something else!!!

Thanks again...Ryan

So these smallies in the big lake are deep compared to long point huh.

last couple weeks been getting them from 6-18 ft of water ...there is also a ramp at Austins Park .. between Naticoke and Port Maitland .. there are lots of shoals out there .. go on a Saturday and you will see where other boats are fishing .. it will give you an idea where the shoals are .. good luck finding a favorite spot .. there are plenty of them out there

ALL black bucktail jigs always work on Erie and every other lake I have fished for smallies and walleye. But now tube jigs or anything that looks like gobies work also.

Lake Erie is the smallmouth capital of the world. No other lake can compare in numbers and size. If you can't catch smallies on Lake Erie you should give up fishing :)

Try the "Erie drag" with a tube rigged weedless.

Get on the upwind side of a reef (usually the wind is out of the west).

Cast into the wind, let the bait hit bottom, and let the wind take your boat over the structure.

Don't retrieve the bait, just drag it.

If the wind is taking you too quickly use a drift sock.

You will cover lots of water without burning gas or electricity.

Dan