Quick Grand river report

jediangler

So I get my kayak down to the Grand river and there are people fishing everywhere. This is Grand river Bass Derby weekend, and I forgot. Not that I was going to enter, but I usually steer clear for the weekend and fish Shade's, Guelph or Valens conservation areas instead. I was after crappies anyway so I didn't let the crowds bother me. I landed at least 20 crappie, all but 1 were between 8 - 10".

twrcrap.jpg

This was the best of the day at 11.5". I fished from 10am-1pm and also caught a little smallmouth. All fish were released to be caught another day. Talked to a couple of shore fishermen who were using minnows that told me they caught 2 pike earlier in the morning. All they caught while I was there were carp.(Not that there's anything wrong with that...) :rolleyes:

Edited by jediangler

I was right in Kitchener Microhole, and yes Dan it can be quite peaceful. It's funny how many people living near the Grand never even try fishing it. Others get caught up in the big boat, long drive aspect of the sport and forget how a few jigs and a walk on the riverbank can clear the stress of a whole week in 30minutes.

Anyone in the Derby hear what size bass is leading at this point?

It's funny how many people living near the Grand never even try fishing it. Others get caught up in the big boat, long drive aspect of the sport and forget how a few jigs and a walk on the riverbank can clear the stress of a whole week in 30minutes.

I can't agree more. I usually (other than this year) take a raft down from Cambridge to Glen Morris and catch between 30 and 50 bass.

Nice stuff Jedi. I stopped the grand for a couple hours this afternoon - definetely more traffic with the tournament going on. Too bad all the bass went away (couldn't have been my lack of skill or the 11-2pm fishing time right? :) )

By the way, almost pulled the trigger on a yak today - the kid made the mistake of talking me out of the economy model into a fancy one but I couldn't put down that kind of money just yet but no longer felt I'd be happy with the ecno model so I walked out without either. Soon though... then you'll have to show me how to use the damn thing.