Gps maps

blarg

I'm thinking of buying a gps, and i have a couple questions.

What set of maps if any would give me navigational charts for Lake Nipissing, for a reasonable price?

Do these come with any base maps or is that something you always have to buy seperately?

And I was looking at the Blue charts from garmin, the prices seem really high.

Thanks

I got myself a Garmin and it is true that the hydrocharts are quite pricey. The basemap that comes with the unit is just that, a base map and not good quality. Until they release bluecharts with more inland lakes on them (kawarthas especially), I just use topo maps that show the contours of the shore in conjunction with paper hydro charts.

reefrunner

They have the new Colorado series I think, but the 76csx is the one I've been drooling over for a while now.

I think they are only about $289 now, they used to be $499!

The charts are worth the price in my opinion.

yea, expensive for sure, i drifted onto a rocky shoal last night, put some fancy scratches in the hull..even with a paper chart its pretty hard to know exactly where you are on the darn thing. So i think a gps would be in order.

Until they release bluecharts with more inland lakes on them (kawarthas especially), I just use topo maps that show the contours of the shore in conjunction with paper hydro charts.

reefrunner

all the Kawarthas region is in bluechart americas edn in high detail with nautical/navigational info

The other popular lakes including St Clair, Nippising, Simcoe, and all the destinations around and above Kingston are also in.