Senko and Tube Jig Question

albany_guide

I have two questions for the experienced anglers on this board. I tried senkos for the first time this weekend. I tried wacky rigging them, but was not happy with their action. What type and size of hook do people use when wacky rigging? I know the ends should wiggle when it free falls, drawing strikes. Mine just basically sank like a stick. What gives?

The other question I have is about tube jigs. Do people find they get more strikes from bass by dragging them across the bottom or by hopping them?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. I love this forum!

By 'wide gap' do you mean offset worm hooks?

not necessarily but can be.

I use anything short shank to reduce weight and wide gap to expose a lot of point.

same goes for the tube jigs. Whether it's weighted or not, I like a wide gap to expose the point more. Actually, i've been using wide gap hooks for everything i can the last few years. It all started one year i was slaying the salmon. I was using spoons with stock trebles. I changed to a single 5/0 wide gap after numerous dropped fish and the fish began to hook up after 1 or 2 swipes at it. I was pier fishing at the time and could see them going after the hook thanks to polarized glasses. Not only did they get on the hook sooner, every hookup was solid and very deep. ...and then there are the circle hooks with the 90 degree turn in the point which baffled me at first but now that i understand how they latch on, I wouldn't use anything else for bottom fishing heavy fish with bait. They set themselves and jerking the line to set the hook yourself will pull it out...it took a long time to get over that knee-jerk yanking when i felt a bite.

The big "G" bend extra wide gap hooks are what I prefer and I use 3/0 or 4/0 whatever I have on the line at the time.

Pass the hook straight through the worm from one side to the other...not into the worm and out again on the same side.

Don't worry that you can't see the wiggle, the fish can see it and feel it through their lateral line.