Fishing Limit Inquiry

Anatz

So this Saturday is Bass Opening and I've decided to head to Rice Lake on Saturday. I believe Rice Lake is in zone 17 and I was checking the limits on how much fish you can take home.

I've always been a catch and release fisherman and I realized I never ate what I caught before. I'm really looking forward to taking fish home this Saturday and I have 3 questions I think might be important.

I know that, sunfish, yellow perch and crappie has no limit and most likely I'll be taking some home.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001336.pdf

Question 1: Conservation limit for walleye is 2. So we are basically allowed to have 2 walleye that is under 18 inches? I'm a bit confused.

Question 2: How many bass are you allowed to take home? Sport's limit is 6 and conservation is 2 but are these limits for each fisherman who holds a license or one household? I don't plan on taking more than 1 bass home but I just want to make sure if you are allowed to have more than 2 bass per house hold if you have family members fishing.

Question 3: These limits only apply for the day you fish or the rest of the season?

Edited by Anatz

This may help you to better understand the regs:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...age/198480.html

You should also study the general fishing regs before heading out:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/198219.pdf

... these are in addition to the zone regs, may save you a headache and some money.

Edited by Greencoachdog

But once you are at home you can "give" your fish to your wife and that will be part of her possession limit. Even if she doesn't have a license. You don't need a fishing license to possess fish just to fish for it. And if you have kids they also can have there own possession limit. And it is all legal.

But you can't come home with your daily catch limit and give the fish to your wife and go back out fishing that day. Daily limit and possession limits are usually the same amount but the difference is that you don't need a license to possess fish at home in your freezer.

Edited by wallyboss

But once you are at home you can "give" your fish to your wife and that will be part of her possession limit. Even if she doesn't have a license. You don't need a fishing license to possess fish just to fish for it. And if you have kids they also can have there own possession limit. And it is all legal.

But you can't come home with your daily catch limit and give the fish to your wife and go back out fishing that day. Daily limit and possession limits are usually the same amount but the difference is that you don't need a license to possess fish at home in your freezer.

correct me if I am wrong here, but do you not have to have a fishing liscence to be in possession of a sportfish of any kind???

and probably not a very cool thing to come on a fishing board with alot of great ethical anglers,including lots who do different things to help preserve our resources and fisheries and try and tell people how they can "cheat" the rules. <_<

You need a fishing liscence if you are between 18-65 period the end wether you keep fish or not..you need one before even casting yuor line in the water...this includes helping your kids..if your hand is on the rod for example casting for your kids or helping reel in a fish, you need your liscence.

If you have fish that you didn't buy from the grocery store in your freezer you better made dam sure someone in the house has a fishing liscence and also you don't have more than your limit...ethically speaking you cannot sit at home with fish in your freezer, then go away on a fishing trip and keep/possess over your limit of the same species you already have in the freezer at home...even if you are 100 miles away from your freezer at the time.

your pOSSession limit is for the liscenced angler and INCLUDES FISH THAT YOU GIVE AWAY :huh:

Edited by jwl

A more ethical way to stock your freezer would be with a single creel limit of different species of fish.

25 Perch

30 Crappie

4 Walleye

Would make a helluva fish fry

.... but do you really need to stock the freezer? :dunno:

Fresh fish tastes the best!!! :P

...but if all you know how to catch is one species... :rolleyes:

No where was I telling him how to cheat the rules. I am pretty sure that what I told him was right.

So what you're saying is that if I give my mother a few walleyes she cannot keep them in her freezer unless she has a fishing license. Or a month after giving her the fish that I want to go fishing again i have to call her and ask her if she ate the fish before I can catch another limit.

If I was living alone and I had 2 walleyes in my freezer I know that I have to count those as MY possession limit.

No where was I telling him how to cheat the rules. I am pretty sure that what I told him was right.

So what you're saying is that if I give my mother a few walleyes she cannot keep them in her freezer unless she has a fishing license. Or a month after giving her the fish that I want to go fishing again i have to call her and ask her if she ate the fish before I can catch another limit.

If I was living alone and I had 2 walleyes in my freezer I know that I have to count those as MY possession limit.

It is legal to give fish to someone without a liscence, but as long as that fish still exists, live or dead it counts towards the possession limit of the person who cought it.

technically speaking you really aren't supposed to fish for the purpose of giving away the fish to someone else, it's supposed to be yours.

If for example you gave them to your mother...if the MNR was to check so to speak, and she told them that you gave her the fish, they hypothetically speaking, they could check you, make sure you had your liscence and that you didn't give your mother more than your limit of fish...and yep if she has those fish in the freezer for 10 years...that is YOUR limit, and you are not allowed to keep any more fish of that species until those are gone :Gonefishing:

That's like suggesting that the guys who go out get a limit of fish then call someone up to run down to the place, pick up the fish so they don't have the fish on them anymore and continue to catch another limit and call thier buddies back are doing this legally.....believe me they are not and I know of cases in my area where people have gotten busted by the CO's big time for this activity

Edited by jwl

I tought that was the case , It is in Quebec as per Que. MNR. I tought it was the same in Ont. Cause in Quebec anybody can possess a limit of fish.

But I did tell him that if he gave a way some fish he couldn't go back the same day to catch more because he had reached his daily limit.

So your last comment wasn't at all what I was suggesting.

Edited by wallyboss

Here is the reply I got from MNR. So I have backed up my comments!!!! Which I knew was the right one. So JWL next time you want to call somebody ignorant check your regs!!!!!!!!I was in no way trying to get somebody to bend the regs.

So this part of your first post on this thread might need to be edited!!

""Igonrance is no excuse..specially when someone comes on a fishing board to try and get some answers....and people wonder why there is less and less good info shared all the time, or people pick and choose who they want to share with...I will share good fishing tips, info ect with alot of people no prob...but definately not going to help someone out who comes on a fishing board and tries to blatantly tell someone how to get around the regs or suggest that you don't need a fishing liscence to possess fish that where harvested..your pOSSession limit is for the liscenced angler and INCLUDES FISH THAT YOU GIVE AWAY """

So I don't really give a rats %^% if you don't share your fishing tips wiith me, but now it seems like you were the one giving the wrong info on this great fishing board. So please take your foot out of your mouth and edit your thread.

GIVING FISH AWAY

Question Re: Sharing Catch

My neighbours don't fish but they do like a meal of fish once in a while. Can I share my catch with them?

Answer:

Yes you can share your catch with others. This is a common practice since not everyone has the time, equipment or the interest to go fishing.

As long as the fish have been caught legally they can be given away by you and possessed by another person. No licences are required to receive fish from someone else. A person who receives fish from someone else must keep in mind that possession limits do apply to them and that the fish must remain readily identifiable and countable until they are prepared for immediate consumption. This means that cleaning whole fish is fine as long as a generous piece of skin is left attached to the fillet (enough to allow for easy identification) and the fish are not frozen into ball or in bag of ice making them difficult to count.

It is a wise idea for anyone receiving fish from another person to make a note of who gave them the fish and when. Always remember that giving fish away only affects your possession limit, not the number of fish a person can catch and retain in a day.

nric-web reader-kc

Natural Resources Information Centre

300 Water St.

Peterborough, ON

K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940

fax: (705)755-1677

Edited by wallyboss

that's a great reply walleye boss,my appologies for not reading your post correctly in the first place..and this is news to me, I was always under the impression that you where NOT supposed to catch fish and give them away and any kept fish where to be for personal consumption. Looks like the MNR help us answer a couple more questions again, I was going to ask one of my MNR conacts that I volunteer with in the spring about this.

Thanks for the lesson of the day in the regs...who says you don't learn something new everyday :Gonefishing:

Again my appologies as I wasn't trying to be "one of those guys" who gets all wrapped up in the soap opera of the board just to see the trouble unfold for something to do...that's not what I am about :) ..just being over protectiuve I guess, I grew up fish all around the Niagara Region and have seen all kinds of crap along the way when it comes to people breaking the rules.

thanks a lot everyone for all your important information! I really believe that the rules and regulations should be practiced correctly and taken serious. It is a big privilege to be able to fish in such a great province of Ontario.

Edited by Anatz