Kawartha's: Walleye and Musky REPORT w Pics!

Slayingm

The weather we have enjoyed the last 3 weeks have really warmed up the water temps in all the Kawartha lakes with surface temps near the low 70's. With this the weed growth has also shot up 3ft in some places resulting in some of the best Walleye fishing action yet. :thumbsup_anim: The past few trips clients have been catching anywhere between 10 and as much as 23 Walleye per day. Bucktail jigs ripped on the deep weedlines/points in 7 to 14ft of water have been producing well. Plastic grubs in chartreuse, white, black and smoke have also taken dozens of fish so far this year working the same area's.

Although I normally jig for 95% of my Walleye's, I'm sponsored by Normark and they have given me a number of new Rapala and Storm lure colours and design's to try that will be out in 2009 (including new X-Rap sizes and colours). They are also coming out with 2 new high-end rod series ''TS-2" and the Rapala 'R-Type. They also came out with a newly designed 9BB reel and so far my customers have not wanted to put them down.... they are extremely light, sensitive and contain features only found on high end rods.... the good news for us anglers though is they will be priced considerably less.

Here is a beauti Kawartha Walleye caught on one of the new Storm Thundercrank's... this blue back/orange belley. The new yellow perch colour has also been awesome of the Walleye so far and have been responsible for boating a few Musky was well.

100_0189-25.jpg

The Musky fishing has also been great with the best action coming along the outside weedlines off some of the bigger flats and also rocky points and humps. Large jerk baits (Perch and Walleye patterns) , inline bucktail spinners and some of the new giant swim baits have all produced well. Here is a pic of a really nice and clean looking Kawartha lakes Musky that nailed one of the new perch coloured jerk baits.

100_0186-50.jpg

Both of these fish were promptly released after a quick photo. Those who wanted to took home a number of smaller Walleye in the 14 to 17" range for a fresh fish fry.

Please remember that the reg's have changed for all the Kawartha lakes this year.... Sportsman licence limits have been reduced from 6 to 4 Walleye per day and only 1 fish may be greater then 18".

Be safe out there!.... see you on the water.... Greg.

Edited by Slayingm

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the full detailed report Greg! The pickerel bite has definitely picked up. Tried ripping the bucktails with no luck(only for 5 minutes.lol), Will continue to try it. Do you tip the buck tail with a grub???And do even the small ones work? I have a few 2 inchers.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Hey Johnny Bass:

Stick with ripping some bucktail jigs for Walleye's .... its not only a productive pattern but on average catches larger sized Walleye then plastics do.

In terms of colours I like perch (yellow/orange/black with a little white) or straight black or black with a few strands of dark red hair. I mostly use 1/4 and 3/8oz and find that even under cold front conditions I can trigger Walleye to bite with a real aggressive snap or rip of the jig off the bottom then dropping my rod tip so that it falls straight down. You have to watch your line carefully as the fish will hit while its falling.... as soon as the line 'Jumps' or twitches set the hook!... you seldom loss fish snapping a bucktail jig.

I have used plastic twisters etc on them and it fact years ago I won a big Walleye tournament doing that... it slows the fall of the jig and adds addtional profile to the lure but 90% of the time I just fish them plane.

Keep at it and will pay off bigtime ..... good luck!.... Greg.

PS: here is a pic of a nice Walleye I took on a black bucktail jig.... I pour the heads.... use Gamakatsu hooks and tie my own.

50.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass
Hey Johnny Bass:

Stick with ripping some bucktail jigs for Walleye's .... its not only a productive pattern but on average catches larger sized Walleye then plastics do.

In terms of colours I like perch (yellow/orange/black with a little white) or straight black or black with a few strands of dark red hair. I mostly use 1/4 and 3/8oz and find that even under cold front conditions I can trigger Walleye to bite with a real aggressive snap or rip of the jig off the bottom then dropping my rod tip so that it falls straight down. You have to watch your line carefully as the fish will hit while its falling.... as soon as the line 'Jumps' or twitches set the hook!... you seldom loss fish snapping a bucktail jig.

I have used plastic twisters etc on them and it fact years ago I won a big Walleye tournament doing that... it slows the fall of the jig and adds addtional profile to the lure but 90% of the time I just fish them plane.

Keep at it and will pay off bigtime ..... good luck!.... Greg.

PS: here is a pic of a nice Walleye I took on a black bucktail jig.... I pour the heads.... use Gamakatsu hooks and tie my own.

Very informative post!!Thanks a lot Greg!!

I'll invest more time in ripping buck tails!