six mile lake report

napjohn8

so i went fishing and camping at six mile lake on the weekend before the bass opening weekend. I caught a 14 inch pike crusiing the weedbeds in 6 feet of water chasing after all the bait fish.

However on friday night with almost a full moon and many bugs on the top of the water i switched to a frog to skip across and my friend a worm. We found that the fish were going crazy for the flies. we couldn't tell what fish they were but where the light was from the moon.

Has anyone experienced this, it was a sight you will see once in a lifetime, the fish we thought were pike because there were alot in the water .

The area was lagoon with all lillypads, rocks that went out 15 feet then a drop off of weeds.

i have seen this on in the mouth of the 16 mile creek in oakville about 15 years ago. it was a wild site but out of season so i didnt through a line in the water. I cant remember the conditions since i didnt really pay attention back then but it was an awesome site for a few hours. Sure wish it was open season it would have been a story you think someone would have made up.

I do hear about this at couple times a year all over ontario.

Cheers!

i will post the daytime pictures of the site, i wish i could tell you. It was the summer soltice, perfect water conditions of 58 degrees, the moon was almost full and the water was perfectly still. It was so tranquil and so perfect that the fish were feeding within 2 feet of us. The flies were all clustered together over the moons light. It was like the were perfectly between the moon. The fish were biting every 2 seconds. I didn't see any bass in the day and knowing the season was not open i didn't change to a bass lure and instead take in this moment. It was exactly happening at 10:30 and hour and a half after sunset and lasted till 11:45. Suddenly everything returned to normal. I wish i caught a fish and was prepared.

untitled1.JPG

untitled.JPG

Edited by napjohn8

actually i just remembered. A few years ago canada day on lake nipising right on the manitou islands i was fishing with my father inlaw and we had silver bass feeding like this on shad flies. it was incredible. We got about 150 fish in 30 minutes between 3 of us. Every cast. To bad it was not smallmouth bass or walleye lol

So i have really seen this twice now!

Cheers!