Midwater Humps, fishfinder and a dodgy trolling motor.

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

AHHHHHHH....finally finished work! off for 2 months now, still have to do a bit of moonlighting to afford my sled this winter...small sacrafice....but should be posting lots and lots and lots over the next couple of months.

Anyhoo...enuff personal history, on to fishy business.

OK....went out for an hour or two yesterday. Found an awesome midwater reef/hump/structure thingy with fish all over it. The upside was that it seems my fishfnder is beginning to work...lots of probs before, still not working all the time...seems transducer mounting is liking cause...but will post on that asking for help if after i mess around with it a bit more.

This reef comes up from around 30 feet, has a near vertical drop on one side, gradual slope on another and plateaus (20'x20') across the top getting as shallow as 2' (watch that skeg!!!) as i drifted over it you could see weed growth on top and on the slope, and more importantly big fish arches at 18' all around it...with lots of baitfish everywhere.

I was going out to get supper, and was assuming this was walleye at the reef. Well it could have been but all i could manage to catch was pike...not that i'm bothered about catching...was just hoping it was my wally supper. I'm pretty sure there were plenty of walleye there, but i only got 3 pike.....also my trolling motor is playing up(another post asking for help coming up on that one too, once i have a quick look at it myself) so was difficult to hold position in the wind.

Not a bad session...dont think there is a bad day fishing as someone once said somewhere, and after tying the boat up i had a few casts and managed 4 small walleye for supper...SORTED!

Her's a few piccies from yesterdays outing.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Nice work. The pike will be more aggressive than the eyes, so that would be the casue for what you caught. Setting anchor and casting into your hump will work wonders instead of having to troll all around it. I was having my trolling motor work intermitantly. Found out that the contact on the battery was not that great. Put a washer on there and all is good.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hey highdrifter, the bright side of not getting walleyes at this reef is that i get the chance to go back and try and get "descunkified" for walleye :thumbsup_anim: And Clamp It....its always the way recently it seems...should just set up a permanent chair down there....sell the boat...and save on gas...lol.....NAH.....that would be boring.

Beauty fish, thanks for sharing. That reef sounds like a true honey hole. Hopefully there aren't too many other guys that are hammering it.

Unfortunately Master of Bait i pulled up quite a few snagged lines, looks like i was not exactly Indiana Jones on this one( i.e. new discovery)

Setting anchor and casting into your hump will work wonders instead of having to troll all around it. I was having my trolling motor work intermitantly. Found out that the contact on the battery was not that great. Put a washer on there and all is good.

Thanks for the suggestion Cranks, but the motor runs fine....its just that when i have it at full tilt the arm hardly rotates at all...is it a rubber type gasket/grip that needs replacing....all help appreciated. And i did think about anchoring up....should've really. next time i will, i wanna try setting the bobber at 17' and letting it drift up the slope, also throwing a bright colored crank/slash bait might be interesting...gotta be bright i think cuz Lake Wabigoon is murky/muddy as hell.

I'm gonna get the lawn and all that crap outta the way and head of for some more pike/bass action...will post up later today.