The water's real cold!

Hey folks,

It's been a great stretch for me as I've been able to get out 4 times in the last 2 weeks for short fishin' missions.

So today I was out for a few hours in the afternoon. Tried for carp a little while but gave up in search of other things with fins as they were clearly not active.

So anyway, I pulled some suckers off the bottom of Lake O on worms. Just killing time...

Then started chucking tiny cranks for white bass. It was really cool as I got onto a school of them and they were chasing the hooked fish back to the boat. Looked like a cloud of fins down there. Nailed a few, missed a few (none too huge) and then, unfortunatey, spooked them as my boat drifted overhead and they were gonzo. Gotta get my trolling motor fixed.

Anyway, started flat line trolling with a shad rap in a dozen or so feet. Coupla' minutes in I get a huge hit and my rod actually bounced outa my hands for a sec.

About one second after hook up this thing starts thrashing at the surface, sorta jumping. I'm thinking OOS-SMB for sure (have only incidentalled one up this year, thankfully). Anyway, the fish is clearly not as big as I thought it was when it hit like a freight train but puts up a decent scrap. I get it close and see that it's a salmonid. Brown? Rainbow? Net it up and I realize that I've hooked my first SALMON??? He was just a little guy that I would very generously peg around two pounds, likely a little less.

I had been feeling the water and it really did feel cold for June. This confirmed it. Any thoughts on why that is? Wind direction bring up cooler water sometimes or something? This guy was a juvie and I think they are less sensitive to water temps? Regardless, a salmon in 12 feet a couple good stones throws from shore was a real surprise. Not sure on the species, I'll have to check the pics as to whether is a coho or chinook.

Gotta say I love fishing the great lakes. It's kind of like the ocean in that you see more big fish than on your average smaller lake and you never know what you might lay into. That said, the scenery certainly doesn't compare to the beautiful places up north, which are known to cough up a good rate of lunkers as well.

Sorry for no pics but I'll be sure to post again when the next roll from the disposable is developed. I've got white bass and a salmon on the latest roll so far....

Cheers,

MOB

Salmon in the 2 lb range? It has got to be a cute one! Too bad you did not have a picture of it, I pressume there will be more hanging in the same area.

Were you fishing far from the shore? Surpise to know that Salmon are that close to the shoreline this time of the year, they might be feeding . I have a feeling there might be some big ones roaming around as well.

Salmon in the 2 lb range? It has got to be a cute one! Too bad you did not have a picture of it, I pressume there will be more hanging in the same area.

Were you fishing far from the shore? Surpise to know that Salmon are that close to the shoreline this time of the year, they might be feeding . I have a feeling there might be some big ones roaming around as well.

Hey BF, it was a real surprise for me. One long cast would've landed my lure on shore for sure. That was why this was so shocking for me. I didn't have a lot of line out so I'm guessing my lure was 2/3 down over 12 feet. I know Lake O water is colder than in smaller lakes but a salmon right next to shore on June 20???? I've pulled up browns in this area on several occasions but always in the spring and fall, never in the summer.

I didn't weigh the fish but it was small, by salmon standards - cute one for sure - HA! I did take 2 pics in the bottom of the boat (fishing solo) but I need to develop them and they're on a brand new roll - might be a couple of weeks.

Just goes to show you never know what you'll lay into on the great lakes.

Thanks for the report, always wondered what was there in that area in the summer.

The odd time i'd catch a 15-20 lb chinook in mid-winter there and get the best fight of my life, luckily i'd be in a boat

and be able to chase it down otherwise it would spool the reel.

Would be cool to see the lil' chinny pic eventually. :Gonefishing:

ehg

Guest Johnny Bass

Gotta love Lake O. One of the most underfished lakes. I only fished it a few times in March and April for sheephead and browns but have yet to catch a brown. I am considering getting my harbour license or even trying to target pike or bass in front of pickering power plant in the summer. Would love to get a trout or salmon from the boat. Anyways thanks for sharing.

Edited by Johnny Bass