Gar

fishermccann

There are definitely a bunch of posts about gar in the last month or so. While I have never tried to target them I have had a few follows from gar here at the Thames. Before this spring I had never seen a gar anywhere in my life and so far this spring almost anytime I stand and look at the Thames I see at least one gar swimming around. In my sightings they seem to always be in 1-2 feet of water and I find them extremely easy to see. Not because of their shape so much as they have a very flowing tail fin that really flows in the current. Sort of like there is 2x as much fin material as it needs. Kinda resembles what it looks like to see a flag or curtain flowing in a wind. The method of the rope as a lure seems to be popular since gar are hard to hook with bony mouths but if I was to try and target them I think I would use a treble hook with a lively minnow on it and throw it out 6 inches below a bobber not too far from shore.

you might want to reconsider the species you're targetting... they don't fight much, they are uglier than sin, and they STINK beyond all beleif! and when i say they stink, i'm not exaggerating AT ALL!!! i couldn't get the smell out of my net for over 3 weeks.

I don’t know about the river, but we have seen them time and time again on both Moira and Stoco on musky opener. Pretty ferocious fish and not boat shy either. My buddy even tried for them for a little bit last year, he crumbled some mono on two trebles on a minnow plug and fished for them, they came attacking the lure like that was the last remaining food in the lake. After 10 minute or so he finally boated one and we left them alone. Most of the fish we saw were over 24”, very close to shore in the shallow.

Good luck.