Going to take my wife fishing at Guelph lake...any tips?

evster

I think next week some night i'm going to take my wife over to Guelph lake. I have fished from shore before and caught a couple small bass and small pike. This time we'll be from my boat though. My main goal is to cruise the lake pretty quick to get an idea what's out there. I may grab a map at the front desk to help my search out. My main target will be pike as I hear there are supposed to be decent ones in there. I was also wondering what the crappie population is like there, I wouldn't mind letting her catch a couple of them. She really wants to get a pike though. She has to out-do all the 5 pound smallies she catches in the summer.

If anyone has any general tips, much appreciated. Don't need details since i'm planning on cruising most of the lake, just would be nice to have some ideas to start off with.

Thanks!

Evan

For pike I would go to Island lake in Orangeville. They have, like Guelph, a "No gas motors" policy, and more pike than Guelph lake IMHO.

If you do go to Guelph lake, stay on the road that you drive by the gate on. Don't follow the signs to the boat launches. Go right until the road nearly hits the lake. There's a parking area on the left a little past the last old stone house. You can launch anything at this ashpalt ramp. Go up the creek arms to the submerged trees. You should find crappies, and lots of snags if you're fishing the right spots, and possibly a pike or two feeding on them. Good luck.