Garr pike

the gar will come and go..if it's a big school, sure they will chase some fish out of ther area..some of them gar can reach to be like 5 footers...big pike and muskies and right now bass being territorial won't stray too far..I have seem some pretty big schools of gar swim under the boat, kinda feaks ya out for a few seconds but pretty cool to see.

Seen schools of 15-20 of them today......... larger ones around the 5 foot mark as u say. Kinda neat and they do chase your bait.......lol

I only fished spot for a few casts after seeing them since i heard they scare off other fish.

Spot did look prime for pike though. And wonder whether it would be worth hitting this weekend for musky.

Seen schools of 15-20 of them today......... larger ones around the 5 foot mark as u say. Kinda neat and they do chase your bait.......lol

I only fished spot for a few casts after seeing them since i heard they scare off other fish.

Spot did look prime for pike though. And wonder whether it would be worth hitting this weekend for musky.

just scare the gar out of your hole for a while :lol: , if you cast enough bigger lures at them they will play follow the leader and split, or run the boat around there for a couple minutes. I have had many big ones chase my lure but never actually hit them, and found that they can spook pretty easy. Cool to see for sure, but if there are other big preditors around, like I said they won't stray far from thier turf, you will probably spook the spot a bit more than the gar did trying to get them out, give the spot a rest and the other fish will come back, and be on the look out and more agressive.

I have seen guys pull simular tactics for musky fishing and it has worked......go into a big quite spot and "stir it up" then sit back for a while and wait for everything to get all quiet again. This will often stir up territorial fish like pike and muskies which may be spread out a few feet apart in an area..this gets the fish on the move, and mixes a few fish together, in turn causes the fish to be more agressive while trying to claim thier piece of realestate back :Gonefishing: