different rod/reels for different fish ?

I went to a local tackle shop last night to get some pickeral rigs for perch fishing this weekend.

This shop owner has been very helpful with me for the past six months, so i have no beef with him.

I mentioned to him that i was going after pike and muskie in two weeks with some friends and asked about tackle and such.

He also suggested a stiffer rod than my 10.5' trout rod and said that the heavier lures for the musky could snap the top half of my rod in the casting procedure. Does this make sense? :unsure:

I mean, I have landed a 14lb rainbow on my current outfit and it put up one helluva fight.

I do realize i will need a differnent type of line due to the teeth on this particular fish and have purchased braided 10lb line with a couple of different wighted wire leaders to go with that as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a second setup (if needed) is appreciated.

Thanks again.

Splashhopper

He also suggested a stiffer rod than my 10.5' trout rod and said that the heavier lures for the musky could snap the top half of my rod in the casting procedure. Does this make sense? :unsure:

.....Absolutely makes sense. While longer steelhead rods are designed to flex and handle big fish they are not designed to take the shock loading of casting heavy pike/musky baits. Also keep in mind the average size of the hooks on big pike/musky baits, a trout rod is not designed for setting these hooks into bony, toothy mouths. A shorter stout rod is the ticket. Trust your local tackle shop owner, he's definitely trying to help you.

Following the recommended lure and line weight printed on the base of your rod near the handle is one of the best things you can do for optimum tackle performance! You wouldn't want to be casting a 2 oz. Spinnerbait on a rod rated for 1/4-3/4 oz with 10 lb. test line.

Look at what size baits you want to throw and then purchase your equipment accordingly.