An Hour on the Creek

Rich

I figured today that since trout is open I might as well take some time to go out and fish them. I headed up to my local trout haunt armed with waders and my trout vest and started walking. The first 2 holes I fished were dead so I hit the remnants of an old dam which is now buried way back in the bush. Found it by accident one day when I was a kid exploring. Anyway I started drifting a worm here and it wasn't long before a fish hit like a ton of bricks. He was fighting pretty good too, I thought I had a decent brown when up came old bugle lips, mr. sucker.

DSC01514.jpg

A little further up and I found a narrows between two mini-ponds. There's a slight rapid here and a deep hole where I've caught browns in the past. First I tried casting a Panther Martin here and missed one hit. Decided to try a worm before I left and I was into a nice little speck. The first speck I've ever caught from this spot - and unfortunately I had to take home. He swallowed the hook and was bleeding pretty bad by the time I got the hook out (hard to tell from this pic).

DSC01515.jpg

From there, I was getting hungry. I had a choice to push my way back further into the bush or head home. I opted to head home, but on the way hit one of those tiny ponds that the creek runs through just to give it a few casts with a Panther Martin. I must have hooked 6 specks in a row but lost them all. Something tells me this creek was recently stocked with specks because in the past I just caught browns there and the odd bow.

Well good to see a nice speck stream near home, will definitely be doing more of that when I get an extra hour to myself.

dont you hate that crap with suckers???? i was fishing a stretch of the ganny thats all browns and specks. my float goes down and i set it and bam i was actually shaking and my heart jumped at the weight of the fish. when i was fighting it i was like why does this fish suck? then i saw the lack of spots and got ticked what sucker hammers 3 big dew worms. and it was like 5-6 lbs. (its been a few years since of nailed a wicked nice 4lb+ resident brownie) oh well maybe this weekend. nice speckabrookie tho too bad you had to keep it but oh well thats fishin :)

Maybe not publicized, but its happening. More so happening with ponds and the like connected to streams. Detrimental to native populations for sure.
Oh yeah Im sure its happening on private ponds and there might be the odd escapee but Im familiar with where he was fishing and theres a ton of natural specks in the area that could account for the catch. Edited by Musky or Specks

Guest Johnny Bass
I actually found the "down here " part very amusing.

Down here part as in Southern Ontario. Whats the biggest they get 'down here"? Do they break 5lbs, if your lucky?

Down here part as in Southern Ontario. Whats the biggest they get 'down here"? Do they break 5lbs, if your lucky?

He's easily an hour south of you and heres a nice pic of a brook trout from the Kitchener area

BCJOHN.jpg

Like the man said you have to know where to look. No Ive never seen a five pounder but I have seen quite a few 18" fish.

Edited by Musky or Specks

dont you hate that crap with suckers???? i was fishing a stretch of the ganny thats all browns and specks. my float goes down and i set it and bam i was actually shaking and my heart jumped at the weight of the fish. when i was fighting it i was like why does this fish suck? then i saw the lack of spots and got ticked what sucker hammers 3 big dew worms. and it was like 5-6 lbs. (its been a few years since of nailed a wicked nice 4lb+ resident brownie) oh well maybe this weekend. nice speckabrookie tho too bad you had to keep it but oh well thats fishin :)

I don't really mind. A fish is a fish. Trout is no better than any fish to me. My favourite is hooking a honking carp on the trout gear. Now that's fun!

I don't really mind. A fish is a fish. Trout is no better than any fish to me. My favourite is hooking a honking carp on the trout gear. Now that's fun!

If I caught a carp on my little Loomis 4 and a half footer Id be in such a panic that he would totally destroy my rod. Hey Rich do you ever fish behind the ball diamonds. My son plays there occasionally and Ive walked along the river looks intrigueing. Good way maybe to pass the time while the teams are warming up.

Edited by Musky or Specks

That's not a bad sized brookie.

Hopefully it was good eating.

I've caught stocked brookies in tribs and they had a lighter flesh and were in a more stagnant enviroment.

The wild or native fish usually have a redder flesh from colder habitat and the resultant diet.

The best fish i ever ate was a 2lb 'resident brown' that was fatal hooked so kept.

Probably best 'pound for pound' fight i've had from that fish as well.

Thats what gives trout all the glory, best fighters and best tasting.

I don't really mind. A fish is a fish. Trout is no better than any fish to me.