OT Exterior House Paint

musky_man

HI,

Anyone here have much experience with exterior house paints? Long story short, have to repaint some wooden window frames. They have been scraped and cleaned and now comes the painting ... questions:

1) Do they need to be primed first. There are a few bare spots but paint is adhering to the wood in most spots.

2) Oil base vs water based?

3) Brand for durability.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Mark

hire a painter.....me :thumbsup_anim:

but seriuosley tho.....yes all bare wood is to be primed...i use a primer called XIM...awwsome primer...you only need a quart....15 bucks or so.....if you have any 'soft wood'...use a hardener.......lol...that sounds funny.....

as for the top coats....youve asked what kind of paint...oil or latex...really depends on what you have now...oil on top of oil or latex on top of latex

as for brand names......i find cabot by far the best outdoor paint....with benjiman moore a close second....

if you need to save a few bucks on materials let me know maybe i can help ya on that

peter

Use an oil primer for the bare spots, you can actually buy some in a spray can if it's very few spots.

Top coat with 100% acrylic, oil paints and way passed their prime. Latex will breath and won't peal unlike the oil paints that are 10-20 year old formulas.

Naturally the surface has to be properly prepped especially the scuffing of the surface by sanding. 100% acrylic will stick to oil paints inside or out.

No need to paint them.

Just put in new windows, never have to touch a paint brush to the exterior again.

And I'll bet you just happen to know a top notch window salesman too, eh Harry ?? hahaha :thumbsup_anim: