Moira River Fishing

The one pike was about 4-5 pounds........... The other was 2-3.

Crazyhook,

Just let me know when u can make it............. Im in for sure!! Cant wait to see how to rip some big monsters out!!

Went out last night with wife and kids........ Left shore around 6pm

Started out by trolling from the east power lines and headed west up river... (yes river does run east-west from my back yard then twists north)

Not much was happening till we started to work our way around the first bend.....

I usally drive............. wife fishes up front and oldest sits in front of me holding my fishing pole....

Well just as we started coming outa the bend my oldest screams I GOT ONE!!! He held on with all his life and ended up on my lap!!! Pulled him right outa his chair and into my lap..........lol I took the pole and gave it a good rip.............. Seemed to be gone.... Then WACK it hit again............ and was pulling and fighting hard. I had just put the braided spider line on and had tension setup hard! I shut off motor and started fighting fish............ Fish did a fast run from shore to deep water then wham.................NOTHING... He was gone :(

Was by far the biggest fish i have had on in the river so far....... Oldest told me for the rest of the night i lost his fish.........lol

Earlier in the day i went out and pulled a 3-4 pound large mouth out. Very nice fight i must say. Same spot has produced some 8-10lbs pike for me last year.

Lets see what today brings for me :)

Edited by MoiraRiverMan

could have been an incidental musky..you would be surprized some times that they aren't hooked..I have fought a few right up to the boat only to find out they weren't even hooked, they can have some pretty tough mouths, specially the really big ones. I have had a couple that I thought where on anyways, get right to the boat then they just open thier mouths and out pops the lure, they weren't even hooked, just chomped down on the lure and too stubourn to let it go. I also preffer to use lures that are not loaded with 3 big trebles for musky fishin, I use alot of big spinner bait style lures, or when using big body baits I take the middle hook off. I don't like the way all the trebles damage the fish when they smash a bait, and when you start dealing with fish in the 50 incher range or so..big teeth plus a bunch of big hooks can spell trouble.

It is kind of funny that you mentioned that your kid was blaming you for losing his fish though, might not let you live that one down for a while now :lol:

Yes he will be pointing it out for a while im sure!!!

When ever i get a fish on he says "GET IT OUT DADDY" LOL

I have visually seen some massive muskies in this water..... But never been able to catch one yet.

Also the first year with my own boat and time to fish........ So watch out MR MUSKY.......... The Mighty MoriaRiverMan is coming to GET YA!!

Today hoping to land a few walleye and then will set out for a nice fight with a pike :)

I need to head to tackle shop and tool up some more to :)

Once Musky Season opens ill fill up a seperate tackle box for these guys....

Took off from work Today early......

Headed over to local shop for some lures and new tackle box........

Took wife and kids out for a simple relaxing troll........... In big hopes of some walleye!!!

Bad news :( NO walleye :(

BUT

HOOKED ONTO A MUSKY RIGHT IN BACK YARD :)

Not sure its weight .......... Took a few snap shots and released :)

MY first Musky........ Made my day bigtime :)

musky_157.jpg

well cool going on the fish, another week and a day and it's all fair game. I was bummed to find out that opener wasn't this weekend ...for like a month or so now I been thinking this weekend was opener...not looking at the day/date but looking at it like 1st saturday in June...well I thought tommorrow was first Saturday in June :dunno::oops:

My wife reminded me that it was next week and broke me the bad news that this Saturday was still May, and also pionted out shortly there after in the "team thread" when I was hoping to put us on the board with a nice one after tommorrow...oh well :dunno: , another week...gives me some time to do some scoutin over the next couple days.

nice you have a spot like that where you can fish in the back yard, you never know when you are gonna get a huge one on

now ya just gotta put in the many hours of fishing for them to see if ya can get a real pig in....then it's all "hooked" from there man, once ya get a really big one say in the pushing the 4 footer range, then ya just get the bug and gotta go on the never ending quest to see how big of one you can come up with after that :w00t:

my pb is about 56 inches so far and not quite 40lbs....gotta break the 60 mark next :huh::Gonefishing:

good luck on the big mission

Talked to the grand master of this section of river yesterday.

He does musky charters and gave me some great tips for me to catch the big monster....

He's "says" I should have no issue's pulling in a 40+ in my section of waters....

Time will tell :)

Bad news is he also informed me my equipment isnt what i need for these big fish :(

Now im gota pick out trolling motor :) Wife is getting me one for fathers day :)