Spring Gold, Silver & Bronze. Report (42 pics)

Moosebunk

Thanks again all. Glad yas enjoyed that one. It was a few trips in the making and didn't go to press until it found the perfect ending. ;)

Having read your reports over the years, it always surprises me how much effort it can be(or how many miles you travel by boat) to get into some fish.... I always imagine that fishing in the far remote northern regions it would be harder to keep the fish off your line, and getting skunked is near impossible.

Two communities totalling 5000 people share these waterways. Nearly EVERYONE here fishes in some capacity it seems, unlike southern communities, and of those people that fish here almost all fish are kept as the limits are limitless for 90% of the people. Add no closed seasons, gill nets, nightlines and even spearing to a small degree, and there's a pile more pressure on the resource. Then, you have to factor in brackish tidal waters that are 90% of the time useless for catching fish in, so, everyone fishing goes up the river and pounds every productive hole with nets and lines just above where the tidemark ends. So then, you have to travel beyond the tidemark and further beyond the beaten holes and crowds to get to the first few spots that are half decent SOME of the time. No roads to drive on to launch your boat up river, treacherously low water levels half of the open water season... it's always work, and except for the dog days of summer and two short spring and fall windows when the fish come to the lower end of the river nearer to the communities, it's always a full day on the water that's needed if one seriously wants great numbers, unpressured fish, or the increased odds of a biggun. Getting rewarded for the effort is always more gratifying anyways.

Some places around here can be special at the right times and 100 fish days happen. But all of them require planning and travel.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report! If it wasn't for the COLD weather I would move up there! Has global warming affected climate up there? I know this year has been colder than previous years.

Its also very surprising to hear that the fishing isn't as easy as we all thought and that you have to work for your fish up there. Still, it looks like if you put in the effort you can be pleasantly rewarded. Thanks for posting.