Antfouling marine paint

Sinker

Hey,

My dad is towing his 26ft glass boat from here to NFLD sometime this month. The boat does not have an antfouling paint on the hull. We were wondering what you guys who know, would reccomend for a good antifouling paint, for use in salt water, on a glass hull?

Doing some searching, there seems to be a big difference in pricing and components used in this type of paint.......

Sinker

Thanks Roy,

That's what we've used in the past in other situations.......on wood boats.......not much experience with glass

What about Pettit Paints? I've heard lots of good things about them as well?

Ok.....thanks Capt Bruce. Sounds like that's the way to go. Thats what we'd intended on using, but just wanted to make sure.

Next question. This boat is a 1980. Its never had any antifouling paint on it.....ever. The hull is in great shape.....we just give it a good wash/wax in the fall, and leave it at that. I've heard that once you start using the antifouling paint, that you have to start doing it every season, but if you leave it with no paint, there is no need for it?? This was advice I recieved from fresh water marine guys.......I don't think they know much about salt water.....

I can see this being ok in fresh water, but this boat is headed for salt water. I'm assuming an antifouling paint is reccomended......?

I know most of the boats down there now are glass. Just open boats, formed from previously owned wooden boats, and they don't use any antifouling paint. My dad was saying all they do is pull the boat out half way thru the summer, and scrub it off.

I told him that if it was my boat, I'd do it. We don't get barnacles and such in fresh water, and I'm thinking that they'd be a bit harder to get off of a bare glass hull?

He's starting to think its a waste of time and money to put the antifouling on, if there is no real need for it.

Whaddya think?

Thanks again for any advice!

Sinker

WE do get Zebra muslles , and all kinds of crazy weed growth . I leave my boat in as much as I can (its 300 dollars to pick it up and 300 to put it down again , adds up ) Would never think of leaveing it without anti fouling , even with it still takes most of a day with the high pressure power washer to get the crud off so you can repaint !!! Left it in the inner harbour for a few weeks last year , the suuny side was so built up with weeds I had to lift it and clean so I didnt burn more than the 300 or 400 dollars in gas it takes to get back around the spit .Big difference in boats tho from Toronto to St johns , my brother in-law has a boat down east and does different kinds of fishing scallops etc. The deal was he would come spend two months working and living on my boat and I would than work on his . He couldnt believe the paint etc. and all the so called "luxerys " on board my boat , when I went to work on his boat everything you needed was there but !!! no computer no flat screen tv no this no that just what you needed lol it took soome getting used too for me .

Edited by capt bruce

I forgot to mention that his boat will be taken out each time. It might stay in for a week here, or a week there, but most times it will be trailered in and out.

We've been talking about it, and we're just going to do it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info!

Sinker