New fly fisher

Marko

Hey guys, just starting fly fishing this year and i was curious as how to set up my rod and my line properly so i can go and try out fly fishing.

Had some free time at work and i found this pic.

It says its a standard set up, i am just wondering if this is the way it should be done or are there simpler ways.

sa_arbordiagram1__800x600___640x480___800x600_.gif

That's the standard way of doing things...For me, I prefer a loop to loop connection for the fly line and the leader. I have a small loop of 30lb mono nail knotted to the fly line and tie either a perfection loop or a double surgeon's loop in the leader and join the two.

I also create loops by doubling over the fly line onto itself to create a small loop. Whip the doubled over fly line using tying thread. Goop aqua-seal or Loon's UV knot glue (I actually use the UV wader repair stuff) over the thread and let cure. Tie a loop in the leader and join...Never had a problem with either connection breaking. Might want to use other knots if you're heading out to salt water - IE. Bimini twist.

Edit

When in doubt take it to a fly shop and have them set it up for you.

Edited by MJL

Thank you guys

I apologize if i sound like a dumba** but there is so much info out there and if you read 10 articles, all 10 will be different lol and tell you to do different thing.

I came across something called Tapered leader, would that substitute parts 3-4 and 4-5 on that picture that i attached??

Is it possible to tie this tapered leader straight to your fly line and fish like that?

Tapered leaders will substitute parts 3 and 4 (I'm guessing part 5 is the actual fly). The tapered leaders have a thick butt section which tapers down to a smaller diameter line (tippet). You can tie them directly to your fly line - Eventually you will have to replace the thin part of the leader with tippet material because of wear and tear and the fact that you may be snipping off flies and changing them which eats up the tippet section. I have them in my pocket but a lot of the time I tie my own using a stiff section of 20lb mono and splice it to a softer section of 8-10lb test...I fish for steelhead and use split shops and such - No finesse required...From what I gather, it's more critical in dry fly fishing to use them because they present the fly in a more delicate fashion (I don't fish dry flies so I personally wouldn't know)

One guide, Ian Collin James ties on a "level" leaders...A 8-10lb piece of mono to the fly line...Seems to work for him just fine