Fishing Opportunities In Sarnia?

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Figured a few members of the board could help me out with this question. Although this is far from being a definite, and would be sometime in the future if it at all happens, there is a chance that I may be relocating to Sarnia. Now, if the fishing possibilities are not up to snuff, the chance of this happening is less than likely.

Most of you know that I'm a bass guy, as well as an icefishing nut. So, the question is: what are the fishing qualities like for both of these applications, say within an hour or so from the core of Sarnia?

Thanks, guys. Just doing some research in case it does happen one day..

Good Fishing,

Justin

Justin the fishing in Sarnia can be very good. Although known more as a salmon/trout area which in recent yrs have been lean. Bass fishing on the SCR is first rate. Many here drag tubes in the depths and looking at some results bags in excess of 20lbs are commom. Walleye fishing is also hot on the river.

LSC is just south of Sarnia and many know the great fishing for bass, walleye and musky. Lake Erie would be a bit more than an hr but still close by, Erieau, lm bass, steelhead and walleye.

The great walleye on the Detroit River is always an early season favourite.

Looks like a good location, despite the name "Chemical Valley"

Justin I have fished this area for over 25 years. Right now I don't have much time to reply to your request other than to say in general during the past few years the fishing in Huron has gone downhill from as little as 5 years ago. Salmon simply is hit and miss, and rainbow the same. Laketrout however has been on the increase. Smallmouth fishing used to be fantastic towards Blue and Kettle Point but in the past 2 years although still quite good is no where what it was. As mentioned above walleye, especially just above the water treatment plant in Pt Edward can be super and the same can be said right along the river on both the US and Canadian side to the hydro plant and beyond. Then there is Lake St Clair which is still from what I hear still a fantastic fishery, although if you fish near Mitchels bay you most likely will have to get a Walpole Band fishing permit to fish their waters. You probably know from other posts that Musky is also exceptional. PM me on more specifics if you like.