pike rod setup

napjohn8

i am gonig to fish after may 3rd in zone 20, toronto islands. When i fish for pike i am going to use a main line of 17lb connect to a swivel. From the swivel to the crankbait should i stick to flouro carbon or use a 40Lb, 60Lb leader. If i use the leader how long should it be?

The baits i am using are rapala's, spinnerbaits.

You can use either. It's the trade-offs that swing it one way or the other for anglers. A quality leader is a good safe choice. As long as the knot is good it's fine, except that a leader will hamper the action of many baits. Some are also concerned about pike being leader shy. A floro leader should not impact a lure's action as much as a wire leader and should be less visible than wire. Another issue would be whether you direct tie the lure to the floro or use a quality snap or snap swivel. I would suggest that if you go with a floro leader that you use a line-to-line knot versus a swivel. The type of knot will depend on the difference in line size (not necessarily the test). There was a great site about different knots, I'll have to look for it after... or someone else who is much faster then me will post it in the interim. For me on my set-ups that have spinners or spinner baits I'm lees concerned about the action of the lure being impacted so I'll often use wire leaders but use the floro for minnow bait.

Found it

http://www.animatedknots.com/

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by kickingfrog