Trout Help

Pachone

Hey Guys. Im new to this site. But I think its awesome. I already seen great pics, read awesome stories, and learned alot of tips.

I went trout fishing last evening up a creek. I was on the shore just listening to fish jump everywhere. there was tons of actions making me go crazy!

I was using a floater and atlas jarred roe sacks (u can buy em at C-tire, i dont have any exp with real roe, im new to the trout fsihing)

I tried the tapered effect with the splitshots. And i wasnt getting anything. I fished for about 45 mins and got nothing. got too dark and had to leave.

I am going to go back and adjust my rig setup > less weights and a time more during the day...

Does anyone have any tips they can give me?

How should my bait be presented to the fish? floating between surface and bottom? or more bottom?

Do trout strike? or simply just nibble until the realize its fake?

how should my hook be set on the roe sack?

what am i looking to do in terms of movement of my bait and casting it? on the fishes nose?

sorry for all the questions. Im dying to get my season started.. im dying to catch a fish..

can u help?

THANKS!

Hey Pachone,

You want to keep your presentation as "natural" looking as possible.

Which means keep the roe sack as close to bottom as you can.

Trout will inhale the sack, not nibble. They dont have time to nibble on the bait, when its floating downstream.

Most times the inhale is enough to pull the float under, but sometimes the float wont go under but just slowdown/stop mid-drift.

Try not to move the bait at all during the drift. Again, natual-looking is the key. Let the river/current move the bait as it may.

Hope this helps.

*Stoty

P.S - I live in Pickering, maybe I will see you on the river one day!

hey jonnybass. Quite aware of the regulations. Not that new to the game lol.

Thanks for the tips Stoty. where abouts are u from in pickering? im altona/sheppard area.

Is there other lures i could be using? such as small spinners? or bitsy cranks?

So when floater goes down...just set the hook?

hey jonnybass. Quite aware of the regulations. Not that new to the game lol.

Thanks for the tips Stoty. where abouts are u from in pickering? im altona/sheppard area.

Is there other lures i could be using? such as small spinners? or bitsy cranks?

So when floater goes down...just set the hook?

yea when it goes down you generally should set the hook.... the best tip for trout fishing is to go out alot by yourself with no distractions and learn how to catch the fish get in tune with them. i have calenders from years ago where i would write down the number of fish caught, time of day, temperature, cloud cover, water colour etc etc. i can know catch well over 100 or more rainbows a year and i dont care if know one beleives me because its just the internet...

Flatfish lures!? really? I always thought to use SMALL things on trout. Mainly because they get spooked easily..and arent avid strikers/biters. Am i wrong?

now regarding flys and smaller lures... i use a reel rod and havent ever really used anything else nor do i know how... but how do u cast such small and light lures without : 1. tangling my reel :wacko: (happened last night in the dark>Not Cool) 2. getting the lure where u want it and 3. making it look naturaaaal.

?

Edited by Pachone