lake ontario lakers and niagra steelies

carll2

well guys its time for my first fishing trip of the year. il be coming down from quebec with a client i guide during the summer and his boat. ive been told by some people that the laker fishing near st catharines can be amazing so i figured id try that out, but where exactly should i look for the lakers?il be putting the boat down at port weller.. is there a map of the area i could get somewhere? also what lures and techniques work?

now of the main lake gets windy id love to try the niagra river for steelhead, where could i launch? and what lures of techiniques should be used? i know i have alot of questions ...and thanks for any help of tips

No, You should be putting your boat out on the American Side if possible and heading out to the Sand Bar, otherwise reffered to as the Niagara Bar. And you heard correclty, the laker fishing in late April through May is unbelievable....expect 50 + fish days if you are on them. No need for riggers when the temp is stil cold, some planner boards should do it along with dipsy divers. Also bring some good rods to jig with.

You can launch at 2 diffierent spots

Queenston boat ramp and travel down river right to the "niagara bar" or at Port Dalhousie or Weller. Both ramps are a little west of the bar but for spring fishing this is the big trolling area fro lakers and chinooks

Check out spoonpullers site for more details. Also google niagra river fishing for some additiona maps and river info

Lots of new regs about US border waters and crossing with a boat. I lost track after several mile long posts and have rezolved just to fish CDN waters now.

Best to have a good gps mapping system if you plan on drifting the bar just to ensure you don't accidentally get into US waters. Many first timers get caught up in the action and get mixed up. Niagara bar is really good with the right wind - anything from the south. Otherwise it can get very rough with outflow from river hitting the current break

Try some Deep Diving Reef runners behind inline or planer boards. Rapala J13's Fire tiger, original, Blue any colour will work if they are around. Spoons will work off riggers or leadcore. Spin doctors and flies or hotspots with flies. As you can see there is lots to play around with you just gotta start trying rigs and tweak it to whats biting. Last year the kings never came in shallow and we were fishing them near 200 fow. Usually they hold near 20 30 or 40 feet range in the spring. Go out and scout around and you will find them. Also pay attention where other boats are working if they stat tight to a spot there not there for no reason.

Bowen

Edited by live2fish

L2F hit it on lures. Early the boards are best presentation. I also run a fair number of #2 evil eyes and taped up sutton 44's. Cleos are also a good board spoon but only if you're out in 40+ FOW. Never had luck in tight.

If you can get your hands on some perch and gold colors minnow baits, their deadly in shallow. As mentioned the shallow bite never really hit last year and I spent most of my time from 80-230 straight out from Port Weller. Many a day the Frog or spook colored flasher was the ticket. Lakers will tend to be bottom oriented so be prepared to troll on bottom in 100+ FOW.

Don't be scared to run a small gang troll either