What goes into a decision on a fishing trip?

Casey123

Just wondering what goes into everyone's decision about a fishing trip...especially a new lodge?

My wife and I try to find at least one new fishing resort to fish every year....

We have certian things we look for and cetain things we will not compromise on.

The list is pretty short.

Must have:

Good Walleye fishing for shore lunches

Lots of water to explore - No 5 acre lakes for our vacations

Variety of species - nothing like trying something new

At least once a year it must be a new lake.

MUST BE OUT OF CELL PHONE RANGE - This is getting harder every year

Must have nice boats

Must Be over 8 hrs from Toronto, we love heading north of Sault Ste Marie

Must have lots of Wildlife to see(last time we had two juvinnile wolves run out to our car on HWY 101) (The time before we saw 10 Bears and a wolf.)

Must Not:

No Wolf Hunts - not preaching or passing judgment, hunting preditors for sport is something we will not support with our $$$$

No major water ways - Not wanting to compete with huge amount of boat traffic

No to Marty's Bear Den - If you have ever taken Sultan Industrial Road you will know what this is about.

No Trailer parks

These are not our weekend adventure rules, just for our vacation in the spring and fall. We were just wondering what goes into everyone's trip planning?

Michael and Michelle

ps. my wife always catches more fish and often bigger fish but I couldn't find a better fishing partner.

"No to Marty's Bear Den - If you have ever taken Sultan Industrial Road you will know what this is about."???????????????????????????????????

Was at Bisco last year , other then a horrible road I think I am missing something?????

Took the turn off at the Watershed and drove forever.

Guess I wont nominate a trip to Ramsey or Bisco?

If you follow Sultan to the end, heading into Chapleau, you pass a place called MArty's Bear Den, Once you have seen it, you will know exactly what we are talking about. We just about booked there, before we had ever seen it. Wow would that have been a mistake.

It looks like a giant junk yard, with Bear skins hanging out front all Bear Season.

I've heard good reports about Golden Eagle Camp between Elk Lake and Mattachewan.

goldeneagle camp

Never stayed there ourselves but it is somewhat remote, I believe there are no cottages other than Golden Eagle and if you can manage the boat trip down stream through all the deadheads and rocks there is good pike fishing with the occasional walleye and bass tossed in for interest.

I have bush camped the area with my cousin and my son. Took my wife up one September and we stayed in Elk Lake at the Moosehorn Motel! What a treat that was! The place is used by forestry workers and in season bear hunters. So this explains the lack of niceties. I made the mistake of jumping out of bed one night and forgot to slip my shoes on to go to the toilet. Stepped right onto a soaking wet carpet! Yeck! Since it smelled of stale beer in the room I have no idea as to what the carpet was soaked in, spilled beer? Overflowed shower? Overflowed toilet? :dunno:

But all this aside, they do have basic tinnies to rent, free docking, free boat ramp, A/C, cable TV (maybe 5 channels but most were French) a BBQ and good fishing. The price....reasonable but may not be as remote as you would like as it is in town.

Now for priorities if my son and wife have there wish: cable TV, A/C, fridge, heat, hot tub, heated pool, an all you can eat buffet to gorge themselves on, spotless room, dock for the boat, no insects, palm trees (real ones growing outside in the dirt) and free drinks (soft drinks are OK) and.......

I agree with all you said. I always went 7 to 9 hours north both east and west of North bay.I did this since I was 18 years old, now almost 60,it was time to change. I went to many different camps, some on islands, some drive to, but all in remote areas. Always Lakes or camps where there were multiple types of fish. I never rented boats, I always had my own.Did a lot of portaging.

Now I am older and getting tired of dragging everything with me I finally bought my own camp, 8 hrs up, northeast of S.S.Marie on a lake that is 13 miles long, loaded with Walleye, Bass and Pike. Around us are about 15 Lakes that hold almost every species of fish, all within 10 mins. of my camp. Now I just drive up there and relax, but still way up there, which I love. Peace and quiet, 10-12 hours on the lake, home not far away.Well my summer home that is :thumbsup_anim: .