What oil in a 2002 Honda 115 hp

FishOn

:Gonefishing: I just bought a 2002 Honda 115hp and would like to change the oil. I need an opinion on what motor oil to use. The motor has about 320 hours on it. I don't know what the previous owner used. The manual states 10W30 API SE,SH. I looked at my Castrol GTX motor oil that I use on my car and it seems it has same grades in the oil. Went to Markham Outdoor Power here in Markham and they tried to sell me Honda 10W30 as a marine oil. They know their stuff, but it was a bit much paying almost $8.00 per litre and it was not the FC-W grade either. I could not tell the difference between the Castrol automotive oil or the Honda. On the back of the label they both have the same grade specs. Also, I read some articles to go with Mobil 1 synthetic, but a bit scared since I don't know what the previous owner used. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Don't be afraid of the synthetic. I used 5w30 Mobil or Castrol in mine all year. I usually plunk my boat in the water as soon as the ice is gone and don't pull it until freeze up. The lower viscosity range helped in the colder water. If you want to you can also go back and forth with regular and synthetic.

FishOn,

I had a 2000 Honda 115. Good motor until it hit the rock under the water. :stretcher:

BTW, there was a recall on the 2000 115/130's for the fuel injection system, not sure if it affected the 2002 model year.

I replaced it with a 2004 Honda 150 :clapping: . My Honda mechanic says basically what the previous posters say.

Good quality name brand oil, 10w30 or 5w30, with no hesitiation about using a synthetic (his preference). He actually tells me to buy it on sale, and I just leave it in the boat for him.

AC

As long the oil meets the manufacturer's specs/ratings and it has SAE/API seal you will be fine,

I figure what they charge for "Yamalube"(same as Honda oil) I might as well use the best, so I use Mobil-1 (10w-30) in my 4stk Yamaha outboard,

Mobil-1 synthetic is compatible with conventional oil and its safe to use without an engine flush, don't forget to use a quality oil filter too. like WIX, K&N or Mobil-1.

4 STROKE MARINE ENGINE OIL IS ( NOT ) THE SAME OIL AS AUTOMOBILE ENGINE OIL

NEVER USE AUTOMOBILE ENGINE OIL FOR ANY 4 STROKE MARINE ENGINE THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERANT.

MARINE 4 STROKE OIL HAS A LOW FOAMING AGENT IN IT.

RPMs ARE MUCH HIGHER ON A MARINE ENGINE THEN A AUTOMOBILE ENGINE.

MARINE ENGINES RUN AT HIGHER RPMs FOR A LONGER TIME EVEN LONGER THEN MOTOR BIKE.

ASK A MARINE DEALER OR MECHANIC ABOUT THIS.

IAM ONLY TELLING YOU WHAT I WAS TOLD BY A HONDA AND MECRURY MECHANIC.

Edited by mrpike