Mercury 115 optimax

rob v

I'm looking for some input on the Mercury optimax 115 from some of you guys that I know know a lot more about it than I do. This motor is on a crestliner 1750 (rated for 115 hp) that I'm considereing purchasing so it should be plenty of power for the boat, but I was hoping I could get some input on the reliability and reputation of this motor. I believe its a 2005 model. I would also asume that this motor wouldn't be much good to troll with (too big). Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

Rob V

My brother has the same size and year of opti on his 17ft Lund Pro Sport.It has been problem free since 2005 and with his boat tops out at 47 mph.As far as trolling forget it.Get your self a kicker and save the big guy for what it was meant for.

Dan

Hey Rob

I've got a 2001 Fish Hawk 1750 with a 115 Merc (not Optimax). Ran side by side with the same size Princecraft with a 115 Optimax and it spanked my boat hands down. Out of the hole and top end.

I run a 19" prop and can hit by GPS 43.5 MPH. Your right about the troll if your talking walleye. I use my 115 all the time for salmon and its no problem. Can drop down to 0.9 MPH by GPS.

Had a 21" Stainless on it as a test and it ran 45 MPH easy.

I have a couple friends with Optimax and they all love em. Reliable and better on gas than my straight 115.

Hello Rob,

The 115 Optimax is a great motor with lots of torque for excellent hole shot and top end. Also another great feature of the Mercury Optimax is you can add smartcraft gauge and use troll control to reduce the RPMs and slow the motor down for trolling.

-sheldon

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input.

I"m not a speed nut - but the extra power for doing a bit of tubing might be fun for the kids. And I'll obviously be able to cruise at a comfortable speed without the motor working too hard (gas).

More than anything else I'm looking for a motor that can manage the boat and be dependable. The current owner did tell me the only problem he had was with the alternator belt breaking once. I wonder if they"re prone to this sort of thing ?

I'll have to look into the smartcraft guage you're referring to. A small kicker might be a good idea for trolling if/when those opportunities present themselves.

Any other input would be appreciate. thanks again.