AHHHHH Fresh Roe on the first day out !!

jdmls

Made my way out east this morning....Hit the parking lot just before sun up made it down to the biggest pool on the creek only to find two guys on it already....drifted for about an hour or so with not much action so I went for a walk. Withing the hour thing got ugly . Parking lots were both full and every pool had atleast 2 guys in it..... I walked and dedicated some time to pools that have done well in the past but knew that the fishing pressure was making things tough

Finally scooped out a not so popular hole that I always neglect and noticed no tracks around it so I gave it a shot..4 drifts later PAM float went down and a scrappy male was darting around the pool man handling me...30 seconds later SNAP :wallbash: soo mad cause i knew exactly Y !!! Yesterday I picked up some scientific angler 6lb tippet at the show that trout outfitters had on sale.....CLEARLY i know why it was on sale, stuff frays so easily I will never use it again....ticked off as I was , knowing it was the leader that failed me....I retied this time with the floro siglon that never lets me down. I was quite suprised that the fish hit my salmon bag. I had tied a few monster bags in the fall to fish with after a heavy rain so I brought them along as they were all I had left for roe...

Anyway 3 or 4 drifts later PAM the float goes down again and I'm running down this pool with another solid fish....I got its head up and saw it was a female !!!!...A few quick darts and she was done. The siglon did the duty and I landed myself my first fat hen of 08 !!!

P1020265.jpg

With my nerves leveling out from my first fish , I retied and started drifting the pool again....nothing for about half an hour and then, my float did a dead stop on the drift without going down. Thinking im held up on bottom I give her a light set and WAM the float takes off !!...At this point I am baffled this being my 3rd fish on loonie sized smelly as hell, salmon roe bags !!...This smaller female fought better taking a few more runs than the last, before I beached her for a quick pick.....

P1020260.jpg

After getting her to the bank, I knew I had enough roe from the first fish to last me for the season so I layed her back in the pool to swim another day....I fished another half hour or so , and by this time it was 1:00 so I called it a day... Great first day to say the least, can't wait till Friday !!

Thanks Cliff, Scott , and Dave M for the tips the past few days.....all your info helped put together a productive first day !!

AHHHHHHH the treasure later that evening ,before the cure !!

P1020268.jpg

Edited by jdmls