Fishing Clubs

tibbs

Hey Everyone,

I'm just wondering if joining a fishing club would be a good idea in order to avoid big crowds on the river for steelhead. If so, what club should i join? I *cough parents cough* wouldn't mind paying a bit in order to avoid the pushing and shoving on the river since i'm only a kid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This here is a good "Club" some one else may be able to help ya more but if you are a contributing member, and respectful mosy people don't mind giving you pointers... To be honest though, on nearly every river you can find some good water farther up or in tributaries to the river... EXPLORE, its fun and its probably the best way to get info. Good luck on your quest

If you want to join a club to fish private water, the few of the clubs I know of for the eastern tribs aren't cheap. Annual dues range anywhere from $350 per year to how much you're willing to pay to fish a stretch. That pretty much entails fishing the water between the opener and when the season closes for that stretch of the river (In Durham region, it would be hwy 2 before Dec 31) - Most private stretches are above that. A lot of the clubs have limits on the number of members allowed to join. In terms of the private club for the Ganny, you have to know an existing member and have them sponsor you...Even then 99% of the time it's booked. You can try the club for Wilmot creek, but it's also in the neighbourhood of $350 per year.

The sad part of all of this is the privatization of our rivers and the decline in the number of available shore spots. Our fellow "anglers" before us didn't have the decency to pick up their own trash or ask land owners politely before trespassing on their land (often destroying property like fences in the process). The end result is that farmers and land owners got sick of it and we're stuck fishing what's left. On the Ganaraska, some of the farmers pooled together to form their own clubs.

As Bill mentioned, pick up a map and explore. Ontario, it's yours to discover.

welcome aboard Tibbs.

I too am new at this sport as of last fall.

My fishing master, ergo my chat name, set me up with:

a) Good quality spinning reel (gonna try the pin reel this year)

B) 6 lb test main line with 4lb leader line

c) various small spilt shots( no wings)

d) size 10-12 good quality hooks

e) 4-5 DIFFERENT coloured floats

f) very tiny GOOD quality swivels

g) two very small tackle containers

h) chest waders ( two sizes larger than my actual foot size to accomodate extra socks in the COOOOLLD weather)

i) feet warmer packs

j) packet of tiny pink plastic worms

k) knowledge of where to buy roe and worms until i could catch those myself too. lol

l) a fishing license

n) copy of MNR regs

0) a GOOD hat light for those early morning and late night walks to / from the river

p) a lighter ( to get a fire started on those COOOOLLLLLDD) days

He also had me get a few lures: LITTLE CLEO-3/8oz (one glow in the dark) and a couple of light spinners.

You will need your CAMERA to activate the glow feature in the lure AND to provide us with a pic of your BIG smile when u land your first steelhead ! lol

He then took me out to his favourite places on the Maitland and Bayfield rivers and showed me the HUGE difference in line length from float to hook.

My buddy also encouraged me to find as much info online like this.

This place has been grrat so far and I just joined three weeks ago. I already had one guy find me from my city and we are going out next week to see if we can bag a few.

Good luck on your new adventures.

Splashhopper

Tibbs

Save your money.

I used to belong to the Ganny club for many years and quite for 2 reasons.

The main reason I quite was because the crowds were just as plentiful and the price kept going up year after year.

Like a few have already mentioned.....there are some great places to fish mostly away from the crowds but you'll have to do some leg work.