Satellite Internet - NF

Hookset

Can Candlelight not hit you from their antenna ? Give Mike a call.. or check their website for coverage to your place.

Hi Wayne and Thank You.

I did try candlelight because that's what we have here at work, but they don't cover my area.

I'm just outside of their coverage.

The only provider we could find (so far) was Hughes - Galaxy.

Talk about an exasperating experience...

Hookset.

Guest lundboy
Well I gotta say...what a freaking joke !!!

Does this pertain to your area in anyway?

http://www.huntsvilleforester.com/huntsvil...r/article/59756

http://www.corebroadband.ca/index-4.html

Wireless Internet spreads to new areas of Muskoka

by Allyson Snelling

Jan 16, 2008 Residents of west Gravenhurst, portions of northern Bracebridge and around the community of MacTier now have the ability to accelerate their Internet connection from dial-up to wireless.

A press release issued on Monday by Muskoka Community Network (MCN) said areas including west Gravenhurst and portions of Springdale Park, Falkenburg Station and Stephenson Road 1 near Hwy. 11 in Bracebridge are the first areas to be serviced by a project to bring high-speed Internet to Muskoka with government funding from FedNor.

Within the township of Georgian Bay, high-speed Internet has also been expanded south and west of MacTier.

The newly established wireless broadband coverage is expected to reach 80 per cent of the unserviced population in the newly serviced areas, the release indicated.

“For the past two years, Muskoka Community Network has been working hard to bring high-speed Internet to the 12,000 Muskoka-based businesses and residents operating without it,” said Rob McPhee, executive director of Muskoka Community Network.

“Thanks to substantial funding from FedNor, and the efforts of Core Broadband in building the necessary infrastructure, our plans are coming to fruition.”

Residents in these areas who would like to determine eligibility for high-speed wireless Internet on this network can contact a Core Broadband reseller at www.corebroadband.ca or obtain a complete list of Internet service providers in Muskoka by visiting www.mcnet.ca/servicedirectory/ISP/.

In addition, high-speed wireless service is expected in the town of Huntsville during the first quarter of 2008 and in the township of Lake of Bays by the third quarter of 2008, said the release.

McPhee said coverage will continue to improve as more towers come online through the $1.7-million grant from FedNor for the development of infrastructure to deliver broadband to unserviced areas.

When questioned about the private sector’s ability to provide high-speed Internet to the same areas MCN is hoping to service, McPhee said MCN’s “open-access network” allows private sector Internet service providers to offer wireless service to residents in that network.

“The whole reason this project exists is because the private sector was not servicing these areas,” he explained. “If they want to go in, they can do so on their own initiative, but we understand they don’t want to because it’s economically unfeasible.

“We changed our business case to make it more attractive and are using an open-access network because we’re hoping they will join the network and resell the service. As the infrastructure is built, other Internet service providers can get on the network.”

For those unable to access high-speed wireless service, satellite high-speed may be available, he added.

Gravenhurst to receive high-speed service 18 months early Neil Smellie of Core Broadband said wireless Internet access could be up and running further south in Kilworthy, Kahshe Lake, Houseys Rapids and Barkway as soon as eight weeks from now. Approximately 20 per cent of the population may not be able to receive service due to terrain or low elevation issues, MCN has reported.

Through a partnership with the town of Gravenhurst, 190-foot free-standing communication towers will be installed at two fire station sites, providing high-speed Internet access to the rural communities. Smellie said the towers are expected to be shipped to the sites this week.

The service is coming to Gravenhurst sooner because of the town’s mutual interest in improved communication through upgraded radio equipment for the safety and protection of the public works department and volunteer fire department.

Representatives of both departments indicated without the new tower and radio equipment there are some remote rural areas of the municipality where there is no radio service.

The cost of the towers and radio equipment is $76,000, $50,000 of which will be assigned to the 2008 budget. The remaining $26,000 will be carried over from the fire department’s 2007 budget.

I liked Waynes idea. Find someone close with a hardline and buy your own gear. It would cost a bit more, but I wish I had done that from the get go instead of installing the crap I have now.

Sorry things havent worked out for you Hookset. But loosing the highspeed and the online gaming world was the choice I made when I moved out here.

It would take quite a bit to send me back to the city. I love the sticks and my 100 acres, my woodlot, the deer, wild turkeys and lack of neighbors make it worthwile.

It would take quite a bit to send me back to the city. I love the sticks and my 100 acres, my woodlot, the deer, wild turkeys and lack of neighbors make it worthwile.

Hey.. are you living behind my hangar and I haven't noticed yet? If so start plowing some of the snow would ya!