Yamaha’s F350 V8 5.3-Liter Four-Stroke Outboard Wins "Best of the Year" Award from Motor Boating

Spiel

Yamaha’s F350 V8 5.3-Liter Four-Stroke Outboard Wins "Best of the Year" Award from Motor Boating

by Martin Peters, Mgr Communications / [email protected]

Feb. 11, 2008 - Kennesaw, GA

Yamaha Marine Group announced today that its F350, the industry’s first V8 5.3-liter four-stroke outboard, has won a "Best of the Year" award for 2007 from Motor Boating®. The award will be presented to Yamaha Marine Group President Phil Dyskow on Thurs., Feb. 14 at 3:30 p.m. in the Yamaha booth at the Miami International Boat Show®.

Motor Boating’s® "Best of the Year" awards celebrate innovations and exceptional events that take place during each calendar year. This year, the magazine presented 11 awards spanning several categories including: engines, electronics, boats, and most heroic boater.

"Yamaha really shattered the technology barriers when they unveiled the industry’s first V8," said Jeanne Craig, executive editor, Motor Boating®. "We are pleased to present Yamaha with this award and applaud the company’s bold innovation and ability to take outboards to the next level in terms of power and thrust."

Launched at the 2007 Miami International Boat Show®, the F350 produces a 350 prop-shaft rated horsepower, and is designed to provide massive thrust for the heaviest off-shore outboard-powered boats. At the same time, displacement means the engine makes 350 horsepower without the strain and internal pressures found in high-output, small displacement engines.

Though the Yamaha brand is already known for reliability, the company has deliberately raised the standard with the F350. For example, it is more resistant to the potential for water intrusion. It also uses a number of new technologies, including: ionic combustion sensors that constantly monitor combustion conditions and adjust spark timing; a dimpled outer cylinder sleeve to reduce oil consumption; the new Enhanced Ultimate Corrosion Protection System (UCP-II™) with additional sacrificial anodes; an innovative internal paint process and new-generation head gaskets; and Yamaha’s Command Link® Digital Electronic Control system with redundant electronic engine control, automatic multi-engine synchronization and electronic throttle and shift.

The Yamaha F350 provides up to 45 percent more thrust than 250-hp class outboards. The company’s first V8 outboard powerhead was designed specifically for the marine market and features more than 600 new parts. The design is a 60-degree V8 with 32 valves (four valves per cylinder) and double overhead cams. It uses variable camshaft timing to optimize the engine’s torque at low and mid-range rpm. With sequential, multi-point fuel injection, it has eight long intake tracks in the induction system to optimize power. In addition, it features In-Bank Exhaust with Dual Power Surge Chambers, a system that relieves pressure in the exhaust ports.

The F350 was designed from the beginning to power off-shore boats. However, it employs a number of new features designed to even further enhance its off-shore capabilities. A component of the UCP-II Ultimate Corrosion Protection System is an industry exclusive paint process for the proprietary Yamaha aluminum alloy engine block. It combats corrosion both inside and out, protecting the cooling passages and other key components.

In addition, the outboard uses an "Ultra-Tough" gear case with dual water inlets for improved cooling. Inside the lower unit are hardened gears and enhanced bearings and surfaces for greater off-shore durability. Forged motor mounts and an oversized mounting bracket also add to the F350’s portfolio of toughness.

Yamaha Marine products are marketed throughout the United States and around the world. Yamaha Marine Group, based in Kennesaw, Ga., supports its 2,200 U.S. dealers and OEM partners with marketing, training and parts for Yamaha’s full line of products and strives to be the industry leader in reliability, technology and customer service. Yamaha Marine is the only outboard company to have earned NMMA®’s C.S.I. Customer Satisfaction Index award every year since its inception.

I would hate to have to feed that thing!!!

With the price of gas nowadays you can get a bigger motor for less, and the smaller motors are fetching top dollar.

I was browsing the new Tracker boats the other day and a 115 4 stroke was about $300 cheaper than a 90 4 stroke.

I'll stick with my little ol' 50 4 st.

Wow, who would have thought V-8 technology would work ........oooh.......... and make more thrust than other engines? Why didn't automotive engineers think of this???? LOL. Actually the engine sounds very cool and I bet it's tough too, but the marketing is hilarious with this new V-8 technology with an aluminum block ....... oooh. Actually,coating the block inside is also a great idea as well. It helps with heat and corrosion and even helps the oil return quicker. But new? No,but having a manufacturer do it is great.Next they'll come out with new molecular alignment technology with cryogenics and/or sonics, actually tuning the grain structure of the metal. Oops, that's been done too? But if manufacturers would do this too they could consistently produce almost perfect parts. I guess it's all about time and money (Nascar teams do it all), the technology is usually there . Kudos, Yamaha does make powerful and durable engines, from their motorcycles to the Taurus SHO's (yes,Yamaha powered) and I'm sure this engine will have a market. If I was independantly wealthy I'd buy one.