Little Current Fish and Game Club offers pickerel fingerlings to stock West End lakes

Spiel

Little Current Fish and Game Club offers pickerel fingerlings to stock West End lakes

Tom Sasvari

manitoulin.ca

MINDEMOYA-With declining walleye populations in at least a couple of Western Manitoulin lakes, the United Fish and Game Clubs of Manitoulin (UFGCM) have requested support from the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) to have some fish raised by the Little Current Fish and Game Club (LCFGC) stocked in these lakes.

Jim Sloss, chair of the UFGCM, told representatives of the MNR at a meeting last week that the UFGCM has been offered fingerlings for stocking by the LCFGC. "There has been declining fish populations in Silver Lake and Tobacco Lake," he said. "Bill Strain (chair of the LCFGC) and I have been discussing this, and their club has been doing very well in stocking in Sheguiandah. They have indicated they would be happy to support us by providing fingerlings to put in the lakes on Western Manitoulin that need these fish."

"There have been population declines over the past few years, and we want the MNR's approval to have fish raised by the Little Current club stocked in those lakes," said Mr. Sloss.

"We would not likely oppose this," said Wayne Selinger, biologist with the MNR Espanola District Office. "I'm not sure Tobacco Lake needs more (walleye) stocking, and Silver Lake would probably be a better place to put them."

There had been a good population of walleye in Tobacco Lake, but since MNR netting took place, "the fish population in the lake has declined substantially over the past year," said Mr. Sloss.

Mr. Selinger pointed out permission will be required, and the Little Current club will have to make the request to the MNR. "They will need a stocking permit for this," he said.

When asked, Mr. Selinger said stocking of walleye in Lake Mindemoya or Windfall Lake would not be supported.

However, Jack Hayes pointed out, "Mindemoya has been the hardest fished lake for walleye on Manitoulin."

Mr. Selinger said in tests conducted by the MNR in 1996, 2001, and 2005, the number of walleye caught per net was near the trap range for Ontario. "But, we need to keep an eye on this," he said. "We should do more tests no later than 2010. I will not argue the significance of the lake."

Mr. Hayes pointed out the fishery was really good until about five years ago. "I'm a fishing guide and have not fished the lake (Mindemoya) for the past three years, because there are no fish."

"I would hate to see any decline," said Mr. Selinger. "We will have to continue to monitor the lake."