BAN on bait, ice fishing and open water restrictions for zone 18 ?

kingjames_2nd

The bait restrictions dont really affect me as I never use live bait , not because of any reason other than I like to cast , trolling with the rod in a holder or sitting there waiting for my float to go down is not for me even ice fishing you will find me jigging etc. tried tip ups and most days I get out fished by the minnow guys but Im fishing not catching so I dont mind. I understand others like these meathods and I believe in each to his own and we all know what happens when we let them chip away at our rights because at first it wasnt me it was those guys than those other guys and when they came for me there was no one left . I think the key quote here is " I think the ministry is trying to destroy us because it doesn't have the resources to police us." The gov seamsw to be able to come up with money for the craziest of reasons WHY NOT THE MONEY TO manage our natural reasourses ????????????? .

What is the so called scientific reason for the ban, they must have reasons . Lets hear them!

They figure the only ones that use this size of bait use gourge hooks and are for all intensive purposes now dicating how to fish with line and hook. They fail to realize many use large bait and a quick strike rig instead.

I guess my main concern in posting this was the following excerpt:

Among potential changes being sponsored by "extreme environmental groups and a complicit bureaucracy" are a total ban on live, dead, or organic bait, closure of winter fishing, and removal of several more lakes from the "open water" fishing circuit.

How can they even discuss a complete closure of winter fishing over an entire region? Any government that is in office when a regulation such as that gets passed should be tarred, feathered, and given a good swift kick.....

That is unless the fishery is nearly dead. I can understand creating fishing sanctuaries on bodies of water which are stresed or at risk, but over a whole region?

If you want to see proof of how many lakes are now closed to live bait and or fishing just flip through the fishing regulations. Upon talking to a bait dealer in North Bay said lost over 40 lakes over the past couple of years. So don't say it won't happen here. It is just a matter of time. For anyone interested please browse over the following link: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/2007/200...l/sor237-e.html

This is the "tool box the ministry has made up that the Fed's can draw upon at any time.

As part of the group that was responsible for getting the 5.1" ban in zone 18 reversed we want to make you aware of what may be coming sooner than any one thinks!

I didn't see anyone saying it "won't happen here" Sunny ! We did our best to get recinded what, for all intensive purposes, was the same reg thrown at Lake Temagami in 2005. Ban on the use of Sucker or cisco for bait. This was the first step towards the 5.1" without specifically saying so. We all complained about dictating bait and not the fishing method of gourge hooks.... if that was the true issue. The reg was never lifted, nor any exceptions written...but the two area CO's wouldn't lay charges for it and many of the lodges where bringing in sucker minnows by the bucket full for clients. Now this year we do indeed have a 5.1" minnow limit and I'm sure those of us that fish it will be trying to get the same reversal that Zone 18 got. I'll know more when I sit on the stool, in the Temagami bait shop, in 7 days.

Edited by irishfield

Yes I agree the bait could be or may be affected with VHS but it maynot be also! I would like to see the proof of what species of minnows have been PROVEN to carry VHS. To date there is no record that I can find of, for example, golden shiners being affected! We are asking the authorities for this proof and to date have received nothing! We have found reports that are indicating that the fish are in fact building up an immune system to this virus. But many of us that depend on live bait unfortunately live with the threat of closure due to VHS among other things without having the actual scientific proof provided to us.

Also to carry on with this VHS trend why are the authorities not addressing the root of the problem i.e. the ships ballast water? This has been proven to be the carrier of this virus but instead they push the repercusions of this problem onto the small guy! Much easier to push around the small guy instead of tackling the big guys.

As for Lake Temagami have any of the people affected tried to appeal to the tourism or county councils for help. Also possibly thier MPP?? Just a thought... worked for zone 18 reversal.

But wouldn't alot of the very upper class benefit from the law and be able to buy more property and then try to ban public fishing??? It would be like salmon fishing, 100 excited fisherman and 2 terrified fish! Then some would start fighting, so there would go the public fishing.....alot more money in building way over priced cottages and private lodges.....Makes ya wonder.....

Lorissa