Lake of the Woods

newman123

I was wondering if anyone could give me info on an area of Lake of the Woods you might recommend for me. We have been going up to Canada for the last 15 years in early June to an area north of Ignace, Ontario. We would like to get into some smallmouth bass fishing. We don't like the resort setting, rather we like to find islands and tent camp. I have found out that non-residents to Ontario (seeing I am from the states) are allowed to camp on most of the crown land of Lake of the Woods. We would mainly be after bass, walleye and pike. Is there an area of the water you might recommend for the fishing / Camping I am looking for? Any suggestes would be great. You can private message me if you wish. Thank you.

Thank you for the tip. We have been camping on crown land for the last 15 years and are aware of the camping fee. What areas are you familiar with. I am pretty much open to anything, just looking for smallmouth, walleye and pike in an area where we can tent camp. Thank you.

Most go to LOTW for Muskie and such. If you just want to chase smallies you can find them behind every rock in the Temagami area, and depending where you are starting out from the saved drive could add some fishing days to your trip! Walleye's are on the shoals for the night bit and a few pike around. Lakers are in abundance and in early June they're still pretty shallow so you can flat line for them. Lake Temagami itself has hundreds of campsites waiting for you on Crown land. Many with firepit and thunderbox all waiting for you. Launch free at the town dock and park free behind the mini-golf. Also many back lakes with walkable portages you could go into for some brookie fishing.