Ice Fishing Loon Lodge

Carl

Hi, I’m a long time lurcker , posting every once in while.

I fish once in a while, but I mostly go for the ride. :sleeping_02:

We ( the Family) are looking at going to Loon Lodge (Temagami) for some ice fishing, assuming it turns cold.

We want a cabin & ice shack for the day.

Just looking for some feedback, good or bad or sugestions.

Carl

Spent the last 20 years vacationing right across the bay from Loon Lodge. Definitely check out their website for a summary of the lodge. Lots of good pictures so you'll know exactly what the lodge is like. Good accomodations and easy access.

They do well for whitefish and lakers right in front of the lodge so you spend more time fishing than traveling. Huts are within walking distance.

Johns a very nice guy. Have met him numerous times when I was at Ket-chun-eny

Pretty sure they now have some outback lakes set up for ice fishing. They used to pull sort of a converted hay wagon behind a skidoo and take a bunch of guys down to Cross lake. Great ice fishing down there.

Call him and ask what bait is available there or if you should bring you're own minnows.

Best whitefish rig is salted minnows on a tip up and plaing jig head with minnow for walley.

Trout is closed till Feb on all lakes up there now. If you do go pm me and I'll send you a map for an evening walleye spot thats close. You can share with John and see if he'll drill a few holes for you. I don't think he's ever fished this spot but he can see it from his front deck.

Fang's got you covered there for Loon. Minnow length limit now applies of max 5.1 " on Lake Temagami.

Another option is Temagami Shores in town on hwy #11 and they pull you out to the huts each day... that are in various places on the lake.

Paul.. is the new over of Ket-chun-eny not doing ice fishing?

Edited by irishfield

New owner packed up end of September and headed back to BC for ski season as far as I heard it.

(Here's were the harp music starts)

I really considered and tried to convince the family to buy the lodge and move up there. Would have been my dream but unfortunately no one elses in my house.

You can also get into tons of Ling if you stay out after dark. There's only one recommended way of fishing them in a hut and that is with rod and reel. Bait a heavy jig hook with salted minnows and lower to the bottom. Won't have to wait long.

The reason not to use a hand line is the mess a ling will cause in the hut. Fresh Ling is as good as any walleye I have ever eaten.

John catches lots through the winter and helps out with a Spring Fish Fry on temagmi called The Ling Fling!!