Info on ice creepers

gil

If anybody knows where you can get ice creepers that will fit over a size 13 extra wide snowmobile boot please enlighten me. I have bought two different kinds of exta large creepers so far and neither have come close to fitting.... I need something because I ain't as flexible as I used to be and falling down hurts now LOL.

I own a pair like Tonyb's top picture. Good ones...but the ankle straps wore though the winterized rubber boots I had them on. So I bought another pair of boots solely for ice fishing and rated for -100 celcius. Then I screwed 3/8 hex head screws into the sole. It was an experiment that worked really well. I get about 3 winters out of the screws then they are pretty much wore smooth...so you just unscrew them and put new ones in. I never have to worry about traction anymore or bother with adjusting the straps and I will not get another pair of boots ruined by the straps cutting into them. Plus 10 screws in the bottom of each boots is a lot less bulky and lighter then any strap on cleats. I never considered the strap on cleats bulky or heavy until I tried just the boots with hex heads screwed into the bottom. I will never wear the strap ons again.

As I mentioned I use these boots solely for ice fishing so I never remove the screws. However they don't do any damage to the boots so if you want to use the boots for something else just take the screws out and screw em back in when you go fishin...it only takes 5 minutes of your time.

Just offering something else to consider. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

The HT Enterprises SURE GRIP SAFETY TREADS that sell for under $10 are woth the money IMO. I wear a size 13 wide and they have never broken on me and have lasted 3 seasons, the downside for some is the lack of traction on the heal of the boot, but i like using it to glide to the tip-up and you can't beat the price.