[Need Advices] Newbie question on wader & wading jacket

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the unselfish information you have shared with me,

however, here I am, asking newbie questions.

1st question:

===============================================================

I started noticing sweat on my legs after wearing my Bore Neoprene 4mm wader all day.

are there any cheaper solutions to this problem?

some people told me to wear breatheable/thermal pants like "Underarmor" or similiar

but i wonder if it actually works and where the moisture goes after being wicked away from my skin?

(will the sweat form between the breathable layer & the Neoprene?)

I know the best way is to get a breatheable one .. which i dont have budget for in next couple months

2nd question:

==================================================================

it was raining hard when i went fishing last time. (1st time fishing in the rain)

after walking up and down the river after couple hours, my rubber raincoat & my skin was SWEATY and

NASTY as hell.

And, of course, the whole fishing experience was TERRIBLE ...

so ... once again, i was told to get myself a wading jacket which is supposed to be waterproof/windproof/breatheable

in order to get rid of the problem ....

now ... are there wading jacket for summer and for winter? or it is just supposed to be the outer layer and

i am supposed to layer myself up to keep myself warm?

I have checked out different onces but am not sure what exactly I should look for?

for instance, does the neoprene really stop water from coming in?

coz' i have decided to get the RIGHT stuff this time, not to repeat the mistake

I made when purchasing the wader .... sigh ..

Thanks for all the help in advance!

For wading jackets, I wear my Simms Classic Guides all year - In winter, wear a fleece jacket underneath and/or a wool sweater. The cuffs on my jacket aren't neoprene (They're some other material) but they do indeed keep my sleeves dry when tailing steelhead. If I had to gripe about my jacket, it's hard to get chinny slime out of the micro-fibre outer layer but I could really care less.

Some features I like about wading jackets over normal jackets:

- Waterproof/breathable

- Waterproof cuffs

- Easily accessible large pockets in the front

- A well designed hood that doesn't hinder your peripheral vision

- It's cut shorter than most jackets

Edited by MJL

Definitely, you only need the neoprene on the coldest days, when you know you won't be doing a lot of walking but will be sitting in the water up to your navel all day :)

Getting breathable material instead of Neoprene is worth the short term pain of cost, for the long term gain in comfort. When it's cold, just fleece up. IMO there is just no better system. I will never go back to neoprene!

Wading jackets are available at BPS etc... Not sure where you are, but you should try Angling specialties if you're N or W of T.O. and Tightlines/Gagnon's if you are East of T.O. Wilson's downtown T.O. also has an excellent selection for such a smal shop. To save $$$ I suggest trying on different things in the store, then see if you can order them (or similar items) from Ebay. You can also order decent stuff from Cabelas. They have an excellent return policy, too.

Best bang for your buck on Ebay are the Orvis Silver Labels. They are extremely breathable, very well made, will last you more trips than almost any other wader in its class & are very decently priced (around 100 Cdn, sometimes less). I have a 5 year old pair; the first 3 years had no issues, then I turned stupid & tore them; fixed them with Aquaseal and they are now as good as new (if they don't exactly look it!). Mine are bootfoot: warmer in cold weather as the boots are lined with neoprene & are spiked (avoids lots of slippage & not as heavy as gaitors).

Good luck!

p.-