Anyone Fished Shades Mills?

kennyman

Anyone fished Shades Mills in Cambridge this (or any) time of year. How'd you do? I was thinking about venturing over there tomorrow? Apparently there's a healthy pike population? If you think it's a good or bad idea let me know. If you have a better alternative that'd be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by kennyman

In the Sportspal or kayak, I've had luck with small jig & grub combos for crappie.

Any of the usual suspects work for pike. Spinners, spinnerbaits, spoons, minnow baits and soft plastics.

Never tried from shore. Work your way past the beach and into the trees for some deeper access and wood structure (stumps and logs).

Good luck.

Just letting everyone know I went out to Shades Mills today and again I suck. I did bring the canoe and that was great just paddling around in December,but I had to park at the gate and carry it in. I didn't have any minnows and that was a fatal mistake. I hooked onto a small pike (clown x-rap), but lost him just before shore. I hardly had him(obviously I guess). I had a pretty big one follow right to shore. I could have almost grabbed him, but he just bumped the lure a couple times and when he saw me,he took right off (I have that effect on others as well). I'll have to remember to keep the baclava on while fishing. Anyway,back to being serious. I watched a couple decent pike get hooked by some locals,but they were using 12" sucker minnows for bait. I wish I had some. Next time I'll know what to bring. Anyway,it was still fun going out,but I forget what it's like to catch a fish.

Great report Kenny...you have a real knack of writing! Next time, you should post the report as a new thread...more people will read and comment on it.

BTW...you dont suck....it was a learning experience. My wife and I have posted some big walleye on here, but what ppl dont really know is that most days we go, we get skunked! We do learn from every time out though.

Keep up the great work and reports...and oh yeah...hope Santa is good for you.

Cliff