December Bass fishing

Garry2Rs

Hi Guys;

December has been an interesting month to be fishing for Bass.

When I arrived in mid-October, and right through last month, it was all 80's and 90's.

However, the days are much cooler now.

Day time highs are about 65F with overnight lows in the 40's.

Naturally, this has also cooled the water...it has gone from the high 70's to the low 50's.

In a nut shell this means that the Bass are everywhere and anywhere.

So, it's hide-and-go-seek every time you hit the water.

This is a desert, so there are basically only two places to fish for Bass in Yuma Arizona.

One is in the Colorado River and it's back waters.

This is how it looks...

Nov_28_07_-_7.jpg

My fishing friend from BC. Dick Sayers and I have been to the river twice this month.

Both times it was quite windy and the fishing was tough.

This is Dick...

Nov_28_07_-_6.jpg

This is me...

Dec20071.jpg

The fish were small, in the one to one and a half pound range.

Nov__28_07_-_2.jpg

As you can see in the pictures they hit small, shallow running, crankbaits.

The other fishing spot is a reservoir called Mittry Lake.

The fish in Mittry are a better average size, but the lake is often called Misery by the locals, because it is always tough.

MitryLaketoday.jpg

Buck and I have been to Mittry several times on our own this month and caught a single fish each time.

This is Buck...

DSCN1211.jpg

This one hit a blue and silver Bill Lewis Rattle Trap...

Dec20077.jpg

This one a blue and silver Rapala Rattlin'Rap

Dec1707.jpg

And this one a Spro Blue Shiner (Japanese copy of a Rattle-Trap)

NewPB2.jpg

Okay a blind man could see that pattern, but today was the first time that I was there with my friend Dick.

DSCN1216.jpg

We had the lipless cranks, but our game plan was to try crankbaits that featured chartreuse and resembled Sunfish, which we have been told are the main forage fish in this reservoir.

Dick had a Rapala DT10 and I had a Lucky Craft 2.5, so we were covering both deep and shallow at the same time...

It the first hour Dick had one on that came off beside the boat. Twenty minutes later I had a solid hit and knew it was a dandy.

For those of you that know him, Dick held onto Buck, while I swung the lunker over the side...GRIN.

The fish weighed about 7 pounds on an old spring scale, but whatever it's true weight, it was a heavy fish and a new personal best for me.

DSCN1214.jpg

Tee shirt fishing days in December, cheap beer and big fish...You have got to love this country!

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Excellent report!

Im sitting around between Exams and trapped between fishing seasons for the moment with not much to do until i get home for the holidays. A good fishing report is always a welcome distraction.

Thanks