BOQ - Nov 16 & 17 Report

superdad

Preparing for the Kingscourt Derby on Nov 17th, Laker John and I launched the boat on Friday morning adn immediately headed out to Long Reach.

The NW / W wind was blowing and we trolled in the lee of the West Shore from Grandfathers Cove to the Fairway Marker and then towards the cement plant with the wind pushing us sideways. Continued in front of the cement plant and down the county shore heading to Q4 Buoy.

As we neared Q4, Laker's reel made a very short series of clicks, must the be the boat turning!!!!! As we began to reel in to head back to Thompsons, Laker says "Sure feels funny!" Well, there was a nice 23 incher hanging on the Power Dive Minnow..... At least we're not skunked........

Headed back to the Thompsons area and trolled around where the yellow marker USED to be... Marked many fish but were unable to attract anything else. Back to the Camp at 1630.

Saturday started a bit slow as I overslept the alarm and we only hit the water, after getting rid of the frost on the windshield(Thank you Black Cat Heater!!!!!!!) and we headed for Q4 to make a pass at 0645. Didn't connect or mark anything, so we headed past the ferry to up the number of rods in the water.

Trolled from the County side Gazebo to the lighthouse and we hardly marked anything. This trip took about 2.5 hours and we decided to head back to where we had marked fish on Friday.

Started trolling between Thompsons and Shermans in 35' of water and I was just putting out my board, when Lakers' rod goes crazy.. Fish ON!!!! Those magic words.................

My turn on the rod and we were able to land a 4.3 lber off the Ppower Dive Minnow. Not skunked again and we've a fish in the box for the derby. Set the rods and boards again and within 20 minutes, the rod goes backward and Laker landed a nice 3 lber off the same Power Minnow. Our confidence is bursting as we think we've got the pattern.

Trolled for another 2.5 hours with nary a sniff. Lots of boats all searching the Thompsons/Sherrmans and everything in between. Talked to Mario on the radio at 1245 - they had a double header and landed only one.

Back to the Shermans Launch for the weighin at 1315.

SuperDadLakerJohninSuperDad.jpg

We had some fun getting to shore as it is REALLY low.............

We weighed in 7.3 lbs and that was good enough for 4th place. 25t Boats in the derby, 7 weighed in fish and only three boats had a pair of fish. The winner was a handsome 13.2 lber.

thebigone13.2lbs.jpg

We docked the boat at Bayview and drove back for the lunch and the prizes. A lot of effort was done by the organizers for the chili/bean and hot dogs and the stunning array of prizes. The winners got the matching pair of Line counter reels and rods- Really nice prizes.

Everyone had a good time, although there were some in attendance who had fished for NINE days with a strike.......................Holy Cow F**M**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess you'll be dissecting and analyzing

the whole trip over the winter......

Laker and I want to extend our thanks to the organizers and promise that we'll be back next year.

Thanks to BayBoy for the pictures