2HP as a trolling motor

ilario11

Hi there folks,

My neighbour has a 2HP motor (Honda 4stroke) that is in nice shape... he's parting with it. He used it mainly on the back of a canoe, but also ona dingy.

I was thinking of taking it off his hands an use it on my 14' fiberglass as a trolling motor (I doa fair bit of trolling for both lakers up northh and salmon on Lake O when the lake is flat enough for my small craft! I figure the boat is roughly 500-600lb (not including persons, or gear).

My question is do you think that little 2hp would be adequate to troll with?

Thanks!

Poacher

Edited by Poachers Pardise II

Well i would think so...my 16ft tracker had a 4hp kicker and it was ok,with power to spare,it was perfect as you could barely hear it run...so i would think a 2hp would do it ok for trolling,maybe not on lake ontario especially if you are trolling into a stiff wind,but i think you are just going to have to try it out right??? but i still think so my tracker weighed almost 1000lbs and the 4 did it no prob,so try her out good-luck and let us know how you made out so if anyone else has a small kicker we would know...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The only thing I might be concerned with, would a 2 hp be strong enough to turn your boat on a windy day ?? Your saying 5-600 pounds plus people and gear, that could add up pretty quick.

I had a 6 hp on my 16' Crestliner and it was tough to turn into a strong crosswind sometimes.

Just something to think about :dunno:

we have the same motor, Honda 2hp4stk...........

justpurrs and moves our aluminum along fine with 2ppl and gear.......for small lakes.

I wouldnt even consider the big lake or even the bOQ with it tho........AT ALL !!!!!

(if it was your only source of power)

Thanks guys... they are great little motors. I had the 9.9 and it was fantastic..So quiet and smooth. I think Honda makes the best motor out there(not unlike the cars)

I appreciate the advice. I would NOT use this as a principle motor ona large body of water. I would use it as a kicker for trolling on clam, windless mornings, which is when I do 80% of my trolling. Based on your input, I can surmise that you all think it would probably be ok on a 14 or 15' boat - as long as a gale is blowing!

I can get this puppy for a good deal so I think it would be a nice motor to have regardless.. It would come in handy on a bak lake on a canoe or samll tin boat too..

I'll let ya know how i make out

Poacher