Fish Species

goby

Can anyone tell me how many types of sports fish are in and around Lake Ontario Grimsby? I have only fished the spring and fall runs for trout and salmon and it would be nice if there were more choices available for this old shore fisherman.

Dan Boy

been MANY years since I was there. There was formerly a marina on Jordan harbour that you could park at and walk along the shore but I see its gone now. Not sure what the access would be like anymore. At that time there were some pretty worn paths that were right beside the QEW. There is now a marina and breakwall on the lake Ontario side. Marinas are usually good spots to fish if they'll let you! Pretty sure there is a breakwall out there too that you could access

Dan Boy

Unfortunately right along the shoreline of Grimsby there is not an abundance of shore fishing oportunities in my experience. I believe this is primarily due to the lack of structure to hold fish. It is pretty flat and sandy out there. Goby seems to be the only thing I have been able to catch from the shore. There was talk a few years back of attempting to construct an artificial reef off of the Old Pumphouse to try and attract Smallmouth Bass, however I havn't heard anything of this lately

As Rizzo mentioned, Jordan Harbour hold some Bass and some panfish, catfish, carp etc. You used to be able to walk under the QEW bridge at Jordan Harbour Marina to access the inner harbour. if that is not available still, there is access off the South Service road a little bit farther east across the QEW from Charles Daley Park. You can usually find something to nibble there.

Also...In Charles Daley Park, there is a landlocked pond that holds catfish. It is right down by the lakefront area of the park.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers

Craig