Space Photography

Kawartha Kev

Decided to try my hand at a little Astrophotography with my little point and shoot camera and here are the results. The first photo is basically as is and the second one is edited to enhance the colour sort of makes it looks like the northern lights. Actually the reason I took these photos is because there is a comet in these photos can you find it ? Its called Comet Holmes and has been undergoing some major brightening. Good luck trying to find it. Actually its not hard as it is visible to the naked eye although no tail is visible. I was surprised at the quality of the shots actually in terms of stability as I had to manually hold the shutter open for around 45 sec. to get these shots. You might want to look at the full size photos the reduced size looks kind of grainy.

Enjoy Kawartha Kev!!

1807249676_f34e238f9e_b.jpg

1806399327_66e498e2bf_b.jpg

Here are my final edits of my space photos cleaned up and with the location of the comet. I think you guys found it correctly!! Although a bit blurry I am happy with it for the equiptment I am working with. If you actually go outside and look at it with your eyes or binoculars it just looks like a round smudge in the sky although I can detect a faint goldish colour. I'll keep watching to see what happens next. For now here is the best I could do.

Enjoy!!

Kevin

1808451727_915525c210_b.jpg

1808692937_5cc778651b_b.jpg

Edited by Kawartha Kev

I really couldn't tell from your description Brandon weather or not you could tell where the comet was so I added the photos with the location. Kind of like those Where"s Waldo books you know I never could find him LOL!!! Anyway here is a final shot with a little wider field of view

Enjoy Kev!!!

1810384010_171c0871e8_b.jpg

Edited by Kawartha Kev

After seeing your photos, I talked to my brother (an avid astronomer and sky photographer). He gave me sites to visit on-line and I was actually able to see the comet last night during a brief interlude of our constant cloud cover.

It is a spherical comet that is confusing scientists because, although it is travelling farther from the sun, it is getting brighter every night. Weird.

Anyhoo, here is one site he told me to visit for updates.

Pam

Glad you got to see the comet Pam even if it isn't much to look at. I am very familar with the spaceweather site and have sent some pics to them but they haven't posted any of mine yet they have lots of submissions and they are far better than mine. The intersting thing about this comet for me is its incredible brightening over such a short time period and the location in the sky. If you think about it; most comets only become visible to the naked eye when they get close to the sun and develop a tail; consequently they are usually low in the sky near where the sun is setting or rising yet here is this one Comet Holmes high over head and visible to the naked eye. Apparently the lack of tail is due to the angle we are in relation to the comet we are looking at it straight on so the tail is facing directly away from us so is very difficult to see but does exist from what I have read.

Anyway keep looking up!!!!

Kawartha Kev

Edited by Kawartha Kev