Winter Heating (NF)

mikemcmillan

I know there's a lot of knowledge here so I have a question. Bought a house near Burk's Falls and want to leave the heat on during the winter and was wondering what to leave the thermostat at. I was thinking 40f. House has a electric forced air furnace so I know the bill is going to hurt. I know it's worth the cost for some ice fishing and a little sledden around Cecebe. Can't wait for the freeze up.

Thanks for the input. Mike

The only thing to consider is the 40F will have to be at the coldest spot of the house. Were the thermostate is placed it is designed to read the living space temperature. With the wind blowing the outside edges of the house will quickly go below freezing and damage the water lines and other freezable things. I am a plumber In Virginia were it is a good bit warmer thru the year and we have less of a cold spell than you all up North. I have made alot of money with people leaving the thermostate turned low or a power outage letting the house freeze up. With the thermostate turned lower the safety margin is alot less before the house freezes up. This all said I do not know enough of the winters up North to tell you a temperature that is safe I hope my input helps you find the right setting.

OBTW stop rooting for winter it will get their soon enough.LOL

Art

Low temps, above freezing, are also great for turning your place into mold heaven ! Winterize the plumbing and pull the main breaker when you leave. To use it in the winter...throw the breaker in and go out to fish. When you get back it's up to heat...floors cold...but up to heat. Wanna use the toilet...get buckets of water from the lake and just dump them in when you can't take the smell anymore...and plunger and re-antifreeze when you leave.

Edited by irishfield