Humber Bay East Park question...

Billy - Curtiss

I went to the east portion of Humber Park just before sunrise this morning to try my luck. I was casting from the rocks on shore near the last bend before it opens right up to the lake proper. I guess at about 8:00 AM, there was a full-on feeding frenzy and fish were airborne all over the dang' place. I assumed they were bass but I'm not sure. They were rather sizable fish...I'd say up in the 4 - 5 pound range and up. I tried out everything in my rather limited arsenal. Spinners, spinner baits, spoons, top water lures, and Texas-rigged Berkley Powerbait Worms. In spite of my efforts and all of the activity (they were acrobatic for at least one hour) I didn't even get a single bite. Does anybody familiar with the area know if they were in fact bass? And if so, what are they feeding on? I'm going to head down again Saturday morning and I'm hoping that I fare better.

I haven't fished your area so I cannot say for sure. I have experienced this joke of an experience. Fish jumping all over and not one bite. I was able to see that it was carp doing all the dancing. I have also experienced it with I think catfish. I wasn't close enough to tell for sure, but I was throwing a frog on the swamp and something hit it. I thought it was a frog at first because it stayed above the water, I then realized it was a fish with it's head out of the water.

Sheepshead as Ive seen that happen around there before.

It might be sheephead since I have caught some before at the mouth of the humber, but not towards the rock side your talking about. The fish jumping I'm pretty sure are carp. There are tons there and when they jump all you will hear is the splash and then see the yellow belly enter the water again. Oh by the way the 3 little ponds there hold small mouth bass and pike as well.

Edited by sharper

Thanks for the input gang! Sharper, where are those 3 little ponds? I didn't explore the park very much. Are you talking about the Butterfly Estuary area or whatever it's called?

Use google earth map and you can see it. It's the 3 ponds that have a path around them and broadwalk intersecting them.