saugeen drift

djzib

I am planning to take a buddy of mine from BC on a 2 day float down the Saugeen on November 5th and 6th. We're hoping to catch some rainbows. I have drifted from Walkerton down to the next concession a few times but I was wondering which stretch of the river we should concentrate on for those 2 days. Is Denny's dam superior compared to drifting down another stretch in a canoe? Any other suggestions on helping me and my friend catch some fish would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've paddled the 'geen from Walkerton to Paisley a few times.

It's a good long one day paddle if you spend time fishing.

You most likely won't encounter steelhead in that stretch right now, although it is possible.

What you will encounter is great smallmouth bass fishing and decent sized resident rainbows

and browns in some of the holes.

The water level is a joke it's so low, so if you paddle pretty much any part of the river you're

better off with an abs or royalex canoe of some kind as those plastic canoes tend to slip over

the rocks better.

There would definitely be stretches where you're dragging the canoe over rock gardens 'cause

of the water level.

If it's steelhead you're after then yes, belows Denny's is your best bet.

If you want to try something different you can throw your boat in the lower river at the boat launch

and fish your way up river to the first rapids.

There's a lot of steelhead milling around in the lower river waiting for rain before they run and pretty much

your only shot at them is with a boat...