Navionics "Fish'n Chip"

blaque

I meant to have some visuals for this from my GPS.........maybe ill add them when i get home and can get a pic or two.

Im trying to find a difference between my standard Navionics Card (eastern great lakes) and the free fish n' chip card i got. Ive gone back and forth on the same locations between cards and dont see the advantage. In fact they are a little different looking, but no more detail in the fish n' chip like it claims. Is it maybe just the area that im looking at and it may be a world of difference somewhere else between the two cards? If the fish n chip is so much better, (which i havent seen yet), why would i even use my original card i purchased for $150 dollars. Im a little confused. The area ive compared is the "Seneca Shoal" area out on Lake Erie (stateside) in case it adds anything.

Any comments

Got mine in the mail today Blaque and the way I read it I have to have it and my matching Great Lakes/Maritimes gold chip in the unit at the same time. I'll see if it makes any difference on Georgian Bay. Most of what I read on their website though shows US waters detailed only it seemed.

Like I said...just the way I read the piece of paper that is was used in conjunction with your Nav Gold or Platinum chart. IT does say lower down though... "use as an accessory to our Nav Gold only; it is not intended for Navigation as information vital to safe navigation is not displayed on the fish n chip.

That said it sounds like it works on it's own...but I don't know that for sure.

Blaque,

You cannot use the Fish'NChip anywhere near shore or navigational buoys. The card is meant for fshing only and has no navigational info. Since you are close to the navigation buoy at Seneca Shoal, the Fish'NChip card will not work. Your Gold chart will be working for safety around navigational buoys. You must be farther than approximately 5 miles from any navigational buoys before the Fish'NChip card will become effective. When you are far enough off shore, switch the Gold for Fish'NChips and you should see all the high detail.

Not very useful for anglers fishing close to navigational buoys.

Here is a link for more details: Navionics Fish'NChip

You will need to click on North America, FAQ's, then Fish'NChip, as the exact link redirects back to the home page.

Good fishing!

Aaron